Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Pushback- NYC police union wants de Blasio banned from funerals

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It's easy to say, but hard to do when it's your career, and you have a family to support.
    There is no law that says once in LE you have to stay in LE. There are plenty of ways to support your family other than government employment.

The statement sounds more like their ego was bruised than anything else. "consistent refusal to show police officers the support and respect they deserve." They should try the private sector a while and see how it is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    There is no law that says once in LE you have to stay in LE. There are plenty of ways to support your family other than government employment.
    No doubt. But, unless you have unique qualifications, switching professions often means you start out at the bottom ($$). That is what makes it difficult to change professions.

In the past, I regularly considered changing professions, it's a risky and difficult decision to make when you're not a dual income family.
    Last edited by JV_; 12-14-2014 at 09:44 PM.

We are diminished
    They should try the private sector a while and see how it is.
    I do think there is some truth to that. Most professions (LE and other) often think their problems are unique, especially in terms of dishonorable or stupid bosses. The reality, pretty much everyone has (or had at some point) a pretty stupid and/or dishonorable boss.

But still, the "change professions" thing is just so easy to say. How many jobs have you spontaneously quit because of a dishonorable or stupid boss. I did it once. Life wasn't particularly easy for a while and that was when I knew that a competing company wanted to bring me onboard. Walking out the door on Monday with no plan for Tuesday is something very, very few people can afford to do.

EUREKA! Thank you so much for that advice! I'll throw away the 28 years I have invested, receive no pension (still six years away from that!), and start a new career at 50. Since the job market is so robust, should be a cinch.

This sounds like the advice I get on other boards when bemoaning NYistan's idiotic weapons laws - "Just move!" Sure! Because I'm sure my agency was only kidding when the sent me here on ORDERS. Must be like the Pirate's Code, more Guidelines than Rules...

The statement sounds more like their ego was bruised than anything else. "consistent refusal to show police officers the support and respect they deserve." They should try the private sector a while and see how it is.
    Well, here we go again with some grand ideas in the LE forum. Maybe you can give me an idea of what the heck dedicated (the only ones who give a crap about crappy leadership, the ones on blue welfare don't care as they are already doing nothing), well trained professional LE are qualified to do in the private sector? What skill sets transfer well? Who REALLY wants ex cops in the office. The one thing I was REALLY good at, which is hunting armed felons, doesn't work for most places on "qualifications". Other qualifications include: Not crying when the crack whore puts her baby in the microwave, I can make you unconscious within a couple of seconds, I can smell both Methamphetimine and Marijuana like a dog, I know within seconds if you are high, I can identify sex crimes most people can't fathom, I know a boatload of ways to scam and fraud the government, I can drive really fast on the wrong side of the freeway, and I can land a helicopter in an emergency if I had to............oh yea, I have pulled some pretty high speed manuevers in an armored vehicle with ten guys hanging off the sides. Got any openings for that skill set.

This simply comes down to being adaptable. Like ANY profession, you do minimal work for crappy supervisors and maximum work for great leaders. You will see that adaptation. There are some agencies out there with great leadership. With good community support, their people will not only do well, but attract very good people to their organization. Other places will decline, some to the point that they will not recover in many people's lifetimes. Right now NYPD is further adapting to further declining supervision. I predict that Bratton will likely be gone in a year and it will get worse. Eventually, a crimotopia will return to NY as their vocal citizens want, while the silent ones suffer.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

But still, the "change professions" thing is just so easy to say. How many jobs have you spontaneously quit because of a dishonorable or stupid boss.
    It does not have to be a profession change. Change state , county or departments. There are LE jobs available in more places than just NY. As to the other question I left a company after 17 years because of things like this , all it takes is some backbone.

Gov't jobs have a better package of pay and benefits than much of the private sector. Listening to them whine because somebody hurt their feelings does get a little old. Plenty of whiners on the private sector side also so I guess it evens out.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Well, here we go again with some grand ideas in the LE forum. Maybe you can give me an idea of what the heck dedicated (the only ones who give a crap about crappy leadership, the ones on blue welfare don't care as they are already doing nothing), well trained professional LE are qualified to do in the private sector? What skill sets transfer well? Who REALLY wants ex cops in the office. The one thing I was REALLY good at, which is hunting armed felons, doesn't work for most places on "qualifications". Other qualifications include: Not crying when the crack whore puts her baby in the microwave, I can make you unconscious within a couple of seconds, I can smell both Methamphetimine and Marijuana like a dog, I know within seconds if you are high, I can identify sex crimes most people can't fathom, I know a boatload of ways to scam and fraud the government, I can drive really fast on the wrong side of the freeway, and I can land a helicopter in an emergency if I had to............oh yea, I have pulled some pretty high speed manuevers in an armored vehicle with ten guys hanging off the sides. Got any openings for that skill set.

This simply comes down to being adaptable. Like ANY profession, you do minimal work for crappy supervisors and maximum work for great leaders. You will see that adaptation. There are some agencies out there with great leadership. With good community support, their people will not only do well, but attract very good people to their organization. Other places will decline, some to the point that they will not recover in many people's lifetimes. Right now NYPD is further adapting to further declining supervision. I predict that Bratton will likely be gone in a year and it will get worse. Eventually, a crimotopia will return to NY as their vocal citizens want, while the silent ones suffer.
    Millions of people go to work everyday doing jobs they would rather not and you are no better than they are. If your skill set is that limited why are you on here instead of in a classroom?

We are diminished
    Millions of people go to work everyday doing jobs they would rather not and you are no better than they are. If your skill set is that limited why are you on here instead of in a classroom?
    Dial back the personal comments. Thank you.

Dude, really? I likely have more college credits than most here.......In criminal justice. Unfortunately, I'm medically retired from LE.......from an "unarmed black guy". But I guess I am just a whiner.

You know, I am one of those guys who didn't do cop work for accolades and could have gave two shits about anyone's gratitude. The only thing most of the LE folks want is to not get bent over by the same folks who are calling 911 because they are in the middle of the worst day of their lives, the same folks crying crocodile tears because of a bunch of criminals killing their babies in gang shootings, and the politicians and bosses stabbing them in the back (you know, the same folks sending them out to enforce cigarette tax laws).
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'm not sure what you're trying to say? Coming from someone with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice (me) from one of the leading schools for that degree (UNO), i can tell you we would have benefited from DB'S input.

PS
    I hold my certificate of completion from William Pettys's low light/vehicle CQB class in higher regard than my bachelor's diploma (it was much harder, and required much less bullhonkey regurgitation)

User Tag List