Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Pushback- NYC police union wants de Blasio banned from funerals

You know, there are some fairly intelligent individuals here on P-F, more so than many errornet cess pools of mouth vomit. Most here know how to frame an intelligent question and provide an intelligent response. However, when it comes to commenting on LE work far too many can't seem to find their buttocks with both hands. If I'd quit every job I ever had where someone in charge was a raging sphyncter muscle I wouldn't have much of a work history. We should all quit whining and find another job? I think that's an outstanding idea, then you can take out your own garbage.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 12-15-2014 at 02:11 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

We are diminished
    Second and final polite request:

Dial back the personal comments. Thank you.

Site Supporter
    One of my favorite nurses I work with is an ex cop. He quit for pretty much the reasons I'd never want to be a cop. You get a phenomenal amount of attitude from the people you may one day get killed for protecting. Unsurprisningly, with all the crap the media is putting out, "jackbooted thugs" is becoming a mainstream thing and it's a huge shame. Whenever I'm down in the E.R. I'll find the cop who brought in a drunk or high patient (who threw up on me) and give that man (or woman) props for dealing with that particular kind of crazy.

As for my coworker...some of the stuff he tells me makes the stuff I deal with look tame by comparison.

And I have dealt with some pretty wild stuff. I've had patients literally throwing their poop in the hallways.

I would not be able to be a cop. I'd sooner deal with six patients all throwing their poop than be a cop. I have a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for cops, and it's not just because of the whole "arresting psychopathic murderers" or the "Going to work with the possibility that you might be shot at for a traffic ticket" or the whole "You may end up killing someone" thing, but also because they do the smaller things, like chase naked drunks through the woods on a 15 degree November night, and bring them into the ER with the patient screaming, threatening, and in general making a huge scene. (I bullshit you not, this literally happened at my local ER last week. What's stranger is that it's the same patient each time, and they get rip roaring drunk and go off on a naked footrace at least twice a month, rain, snow or shine.)

It wears down the soul, and that cops deal with that stuff is bad enough, but if people knew the frequency with which they dealt with such behavior they'd be shocked.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Gov't jobs have a better package of pay and benefits than much of the private sector.
    It's field and agency specific. Which is why I've found that these generalizations don't work well.

I see people in IT move to the other side all the time, they want to trade benefit packages. Except at the extremes, where the Feds can't compensate the most skilled/talented because of pay grade issues, or they overcompensate someone who should be fired, the grass is not greener on either side.
    Last edited by JV_; 12-15-2014 at 05:27 AM.

I am not sure I want a Union or a Gov't telling me who can attend my funeral and speak. That is a very personal decision. This is America...home of the FREE, right? Does partisan politics have to infect everything?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    NYC police union wants de Blasio banned from funerals

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/14...cmp=latestnews

Oakland PD Officers were doing this a few years ago.
    Sounds like a great idea. I would really hate to work in an area like that.

As far as finding another job...no thanks. I have 6 years left and will be 49 when I retire with 30 years in (I was able to purchase my military time to add into my retirement). We are fortunate in NC that LE retirement is one of the best plans I have seen...and I'm not throwing that away because I don't like a politician or an administrator or because I hate the job.

The job has gotten worse in terms of what it was when I started. Within my first 5 years I had already been involved in a critical incident, which was the first time I had been mirandized...it wouldn't be the last. If I was going to change jobs I should of done it then. The writing was on the wall that day and was followed up by a $20 million law suit in which I was named in my official capacity and personally. Try buying a house while that is hanging over you. I continued on with this job and had many successes but they would always be over shadowed by what I learned in that incident. I poured myself into this job that would rather see me get hurt than have to deal with a complaint. Then, 6 years ago, I almost died at the hands of a man wielding a shotgun. He's dead now. I had a real gut check after that mess and for months after that I asked myself why I wanted to do this job. Yet, here I am still training folks and dealing with crap that everyday citizens put on their blinders too. After going through this mess of a job and being in and seeing every possible thing that can be done to a cop by people I will not just throw away those years that I have invested in my retirement/future. If going to work and doing the minimal amount gets me through the next 6 years then that's what I will do. I'm not there yet as I still like most aspects of what I do, but make no mistake I can throw on the brakes real quick because I have already seen and learned how to deal with people who seek to cost LEO's their job.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Well, here we go again with some grand ideas in the LE forum. Maybe you can give me an idea of what the heck dedicated (the only ones who give a crap about crappy leadership, the ones on blue welfare don't care as they are already doing nothing), well trained professional LE are qualified to do in the private sector? What skill sets transfer well? Who REALLY wants ex cops in the office. .
    Quite honestly, in my neck of the woods (oil and gas producer), we have hired a number of ex military and police and they work out well in multiple areas of the business.

Moved to Romper Room. We can and will dial back the personal remarks.
    #RESIST

Sometimes I had good leadership, sometimes I had bad management. Understanding the difference between the two is critical, and it isn't a problem restricted to military, LE, fire, and public service. Most jobs want managers, not leaders.

As far as NYPD goes, good for them. I didn't choose my career so I could get awards and a pat on the ass, but I demanded at least some respect for my willingness to risk my life for the people I served.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Im assuming its technically possible for an experienced LEO to apply for work at different agency whilst working at their current one , unless I'm missing something.
    I know of a police officer right now who has been trying to get hired at another LE agency for years. It took him a while to realize that his current supervisors/commanders would find out he was applying at X agency, and then make phone calls trashing him so that he wouldn't get hired.

See, when a police department hates you they don't just fire you. They make you unemployable and THEN they fire you. While trash talking can torpedo someone's hiring prospects in any field of employment, there seems to be a unique credence given to those kinds of communications in LE circles probably due to the ever-present liability worries that seems to infect the profession like bad VD.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 12-15-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List