Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would pay $1,000 for a Tactical Jacket

I picked up a used Beretta concealed carry jacket for $30 in basic black. It's not everything I wanted but for the price I'm not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I picked up a used Beretta concealed carry jacket for $30 in basic black. It's not everything I wanted but for the price I'm not complaining.
    I use softshells, like the one JodyH linked. I have one from Northface, and one from REI. I got them both during member weekends at REI (20% off).

Being that I live in the south, I can't bring myself to paying nearly $400 for a rarely used jacket. But if I lived in a place that got cold often I might. But in either case the idea that someone would spend $1,000 for a soft shell jacket baffles me.

Now I spent a good amount of money ($130 on sale IIRC) for an REI brand eVent rain jacket. One thing that it does often here is rain.

I should mention that this isn't a put down of TYR. I am sure they pour their soul in their gear, but IMO it seems that they might have priced themselves out of their desired market.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    PMC's who make a few grand a week and are out in the elements a lot?

From my Motorola StarTAC.
    Those guys are saving their money for upcoming R&R trips.

Who would pay $1,000 for a Tactical Jacket

$1k for a jacket. LOL. I don't think there is a $1K worth of clothes in my closet.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    $1k for a jacket. LOL. I don't think there is a $1K worth of clothes in my closet.
    Honestly $1,000 in clothing isn't hard if you have any business suits, and some descent cold weather gear.

I would guess I have $1,500 to $2,000 in clothing. And I don't spend all that much on my clothes.

I once dropped $1,500 in one day on a suit, (2) pairs of pants, (2) shirts, & a couple ties...all for a family members wedding out of town. It added up pretty quickly. I'm still not sure what happened.

There've been times I would gladly have paid a grand or more for foul weather gear. There was no way they could have gotten it to me in time, though, what with the APO system being what it is.

EDIT: FWIW, I caught crap for buying a pair of Danner "Go Devils" and my own Gore-Tex ECWCS parka.
    Last edited by Drang; 12-14-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

If I had certain jobs that required me to be out in certain terrain on a nearly constant basis, I'd pay that, but I'd sure want to do my homework on it first.

I've probably spent that, combined, on various outdoor shells that either: leaked, despite proper care; busted a seam; tore; or just couldn't stand up to busting through the pucker bush on a regular basis.

Part of what is jacking up the price is Tyr is pretty small. If somebody like Arc'Teryx was making it, it would cost less. It would still be expensive as hell, but not $1k.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Those guys are saving their money for upcoming R&R trips.
    Exactly. The price of that jacket can buy a fellow a whole lot of Estonian hookers.
    3/15/2016

I do have a job that requires me to be out in the elements although we usually draw the line at rain for safety reasons. I have more jackets, fleece pull-overs, lined shirts, lined pants and so forth that I know what to do with. My really heavy barn coat spends most of its time in the closet as here in Georgia it rarely gets cold enough, long enough to justify pulling it out. Everything else is part of a layer system.

What I was really looking for and still am is something similar to the SAS or ww2 smock or a safari style jacket that's not a camo pattern, is updated with current materials and closures and won't break the bank. I've yet to find anything that suits my criteria yet. :-(

User Tag List