Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would pay $1,000 for a Tactical Jacket

Who would pay $1,000 for a Tactical Jacket

I like TYR Double Pistol Pouch, so I check their Facespace page periodically for sales so I can get another one. Today I saw this:
    http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...-combat-smock/

The Huron™ Cold Weather Combat Smock (HRN-SMK001) is a feature-rich, lightweight soft-shell garment which adapts to adverse weather conditions in several different terrains. It utilizes high strength, abrasion resistant, 4-way stretch which is ideal for more rugged use. The Smock is also treated with Marathon™ H100. This technology repels water, dirt and oil while still giving the textile breathability and elasticity. Additionally, CSM reinforced rubberized elbows offer protection and grip in rough terrain.
    Ok I admit, it is a nice version of the British Smock design, and it certainly has some nice upgrades. But who is going to pay almost a grand for a single jacket, certainly not any military users?

It certainly does not do a good job of selling why it's worth 1k. Klim actually makes their similar price seem reasonable.

Don't tell Steven Seagal, unless you want it to show up in his next photo op with Putin...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Don't tell Steven Seagal, unless you want it to show up in his next photo op with Putin...
    I don't think TYR has any of the Russian camos in stock.

Site Supporter
    If it were a blazer, I'd consider it:
    http://us.dockers.com/product/index....&kpid=17903244

Site Supporter
    I think the last Orvis catalog that I received had a jacket that was between $2K and $3K. I don't know who buys those either.

PMC's who make a few grand a week and are out in the elements a lot?

From my Motorola StarTAC.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    PMC's who make a few grand a week and are out in the elements a lot?

From my Motorola StarTAC.
    There was a day when I would have gladly paid up to get a workable rain repellant jacket that would help keep me dry and warm when the rain was turning into snow, the wind was increasing, and some lunatic was yelling on the radio about how we weren't moving fast enough.

However, I only made something like $6,000 per year before taxes so I wouldn't have bought this. But if it really does help keep you warm and dry, it might have a market.

My guess, though, is that a lot of sales are to guys who need to be warm, dry and tactical on the way to the supermarket.

I want to see the waist drawcord setup to see if there are dangling barrel cord adjusters that would find their way into trigger guards.
    I know my Gore-Tex SAS smock is a soup sandwich when it comes to drawstrings getting tangled in anything and everything that comes within 6" of them.
    Why can't "tactical" jackets come in low profile "outdoorsman" color schemes like a matte forest green with khaki or black accents instead of multi-cam that stands out everywhere except on the battlefield?

BTW: I picked up a Arc-Teryx Alpha Comp soft shell jacket at REI that's pretty damn "tactical".
    The draw cords are all ultra low profile and secured out of the way and the hem has a reinforced band that seems tailor made for concealment and fast, consistent access to a handgun.
    The underarms also have a waterproof stretch panel in them that makes drawing and shooting a non-binding experience.
    The black/gray version works great as low profile urban and rural camo.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

They probably have a gubmit contract for them and the retail offering is just to see if they pick up a few extra sales.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List