Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would pay $1,000 for a Tactical Jacket

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'll throw this out:

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have any problem putting down a grand on a nice suit, right? And a grand still wouldn't get you up to SouthNarc level dapper.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I bought a Carhartt jacket about 10 years ago at a discount because something was "wrong with it". I don't know what it was that was so wrong but I paid $40 for it and I still wear it when it gets cold. A grand for a jacket...seriously? Somebody really likes their product or they're high. Either way they wont get my money.
    It's not that at all though. That's just how much it costs. I mean they're not losing money but it won't make them a mint either.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'll throw this out:

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have any problem putting down a grand on a nice suit, right? And a grand still wouldn't get you up to SouthNarc level dapper.
    I don't know that the masses would spend $1000 on a suit. Multiple clothing threads have popped up recently and I would bet closer to $200 being what folks would pay.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm a hunter, and have zero problems spending money to get gear that keeps me warm and dry. With that being said.... $1000 is pretty steep. I've got several articles of clothing that keep me warm and dry that cost a fraction of that. Of course, they're not tacticool.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If a $1000 jacket was required for my job and nothing else would suffice I'd say that's the cost of doing business. Durable jackets with the latest materials are well worth it and very costly.

I used to think things were just expensive until seeing how they actually worked. This jacket might be comparable to a Taurus PT1911 vs a Wilson or whatever people think is good these days. Some see it as a requirement or baseline, others bicker at the cost.
    That really does become the question though. Maybe a $1,000 jacket keeps one warm in some subtle, unique, single-application that no other jacket does. However, maybe it doesn't and there's some other jacket that does it all and more for $500 with less marketing, SME-ing, social media-ing, etc.

And then there's the question as to whether or not the person considering the purchase actually fits the profile. That's really just between them, their wallet, and their wife, but it doesn't mean that all of us should go do it.

Not really sure... I don't have a need that necessitates a jacket that expensive. I think the point is on the verge of being lost. A jacket can cost that much, you get what you pay for, and some people are cheap.

Also to consider... Crye seems to be very stingy with multicam.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Well, the Soldier Systems post states that it was designed an Allied SOF unit, that if they even sell 200 units they'd be happy, and that 60 have already been sold. Lots of pics and information (not to mention comments from the lovely readers) here: http://soldiersystems.net/2014/12/11...e-huron-smock/

And 1000 USD for a jacket is shocking? It's like y'all've never even heard of Arc'teryx's Veilance line.
    You can wear the Veilance stuff in the city without looking like a complete knob.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Not really sure... I don't have a need that necessitates a jacket that expensive. I think the point is on the verge of being lost. A jacket can cost that much, you get what you pay for, and some people are cheap.

Also to consider... Crye seems to be very stingy with multicam.
    Our 5.11 rep said Crye gets 40% off the top for any Multicam stuff that they sell.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    You can wear the Veilance stuff in the city without looking like a complete knob.
    I looked at that stuff, it seems to be the Dead Bird's fashion brand. A way to appease the urbanites with features and designs that are unnecessary on their outdoor line. Sort of the opposite approach that TNF went about.

Just emailed them to see whether the price is a typo.

Okie John

A jacket can cost that much, you get what you pay for, and some people are cheap.
    Right. And people also pay entirely too much for LOTS of things in life which have no mechanical or intrinsic value beyond what is printed on the label/side/bumper. I would wager that there are more products in the world that cost what they do due to the marketing costs and hype than the actual cost to produce, and even if it *does* cost that much to produce, it doesn't mean it actually does anything better relative to that cost. A jar of Egyptian desert sand would cost me thousand of dollars to go and collect, but that doesn't mean I can sell it here for twice that.

Unless, of course, I pay some Tier 1 guy to proclaim it the best desert sand ever and paint a bird skeleton on the side or coat it in multicam.

I look at most of these jackets and such (especially as a Floridian, where they are not as uncommon as they should be) the same as a guy buying a lifted jeep and then never leaving the pavement. None of my business, he's free to spend his money how he wants, but *I* think he wasted it on showing off, so *I* think it's stupid as hell.

And before anyone pipes in with "what do you care what he does" I'd offer "what does he care what I think?" (the obvious answer being that he wouldn't have bought the showy jacket or jeep and then spent all this time on the internet defending himself if he truly didn't care what other people think)

User Tag List