Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would pay $1,000 for a Tactical Jacket

Man, I'd drop a grand on a new pair of custom cowboy boots, but not on a jacket. I bet all 5-6 of my jackets don't even total $1k combined.

If it's too cold for my heavy Carhartt, I should probably get back to my part of Texas.

If a $1000 jacket was required for my job and nothing else would suffice I'd say that's the cost of doing business. Durable jackets with the latest materials are well worth it and very costly.

I used to think things were just expensive until seeing how they actually worked. This jacket might be comparable to a Taurus PT1911 vs a Wilson or whatever people think is good these days. Some see it as a requirement or baseline, others bicker at the cost.

Tom is also likely onto something too, there is probably some middle manager somewhere buying this jacket right now so he can go larp in a carbine class.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Last time I was at the Mountain of Geese, feeling pretty clever with the couple Mountain Hardwear shirts I'd snagged off the clearance rack, the dude in line in front of me laid his Browning RealMossyTreeOak jacket and pants on the counter and the clerk dinged him for more than I paid for a '74 Gran Torino back in high school. Granted the hunting togs were new and the Ford had forty-something-thousand miles on the clock, but for that price, those clothes better dress and clean the damn deer for me. Seriously, last time I was in the deer woods, I was holding a Ruger No.1 RSI in .243 that cost less than this guy's treestand couture.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I balk at paying $1000 for a jacket, and yet I just dumped $1300 in to a power meter for my backup bike.

Priorities....

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I balk at paying $1000 for a jacket, and yet I just dumped $1300 in to a power meter for my backup bike.

Priorities....
    It's funny the things we selectively recoil from in sticker-shock horror. I generally have no issue with dropping decent coin on wintertime snivel gear because it makes everything from snow-shoveling to walking to the corner pub for lunch so much more pleasant, but put some Mossy Oak on that stuff and I'm all "You want how much for that? Are you high?"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'll admit it. I bookmarked it for further research.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post

Priorities....
    I was commenting the other night while discussing my relatively new $600 Weber that the one I really wanted has this feature and that feature. Friend asks "how much is the fancy one?" "$1600" I reply, at which point it occurs to me that I have multiple firearms costing much more than that which get used much less.

I bought a Carhartt jacket about 10 years ago at a discount because something was "wrong with it". I don't know what it was that was so wrong but I paid $40 for it and I still wear it when it gets cold. A grand for a jacket...seriously? Somebody really likes their product or they're high. Either way they wont get my money.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If a $1000 jacket was required for my job and nothing else would suffice I'd say that's the cost of doing business. Durable jackets with the latest materials are well worth it and very costly.

I used to think things were just expensive until seeing how they actually worked. This jacket might be comparable to a Taurus PT1911 vs a Wilson or whatever people think is good these days. Some see it as a requirement or baseline, others bicker at the cost.
    Ditto.

If the gear is quality and does the job I want it to do better than the competition, I'll gladly pay more for it. The snag is that I know what the difference is between the Wilson 1911 I just bought and a Taurus 1911. Unfortunately I don't have that advantage with every item I buy. Sometimes it's hard to drill down into what precisely you're buying with a lot of this stuff.

I got sick of sucky outdoor gear so I bought some quality stuff from TNF (their high-end stuff) when it was on discount (still expensive, though) and so far it's done an excellent job for me. Plus it's excellent yuppie camo. I hate being cold wet and miserable and frankly it's not good for one's health. I'm willing to spend some money to keep from being cold wet and miserable when I'm forced to be out in mother nature's wrath. If I had to spend even more time out in even worse conditions my current gear wouldn't cut it. In those circumstances I'd happily throw down the grand to get a coat that accomplished my goals.

People who need good gear almost always pay whatever is necessary to get it. If one doesn't face the need then one often balks at the price.

Tom is also likely onto something too, there is probably some middle manager somewhere buying this jacket right now so he can go larp in a carbine class.
    Indeed.

Still, looking over what it claims to be...basically a tailor-made rugged outer layer designed for heavy field use...I could see somebody in Colorado or Alaska that hunts a lot in those rugged terrains spending the money to get one for themselves.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 12-15-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    They probably have a gubmit contract for them and the retail offering is just to see if they pick up a few extra sales.
    Well, the Soldier Systems post states that it was designed an Allied SOF unit, that if they even sell 200 units they'd be happy, and that 60 have already been sold. Lots of pics and information (not to mention comments from the lovely readers) here: http://soldiersystems.net/2014/12/11...e-huron-smock/

And 1000 USD for a jacket is shocking? It's like y'all've never even heard of Arc'teryx's Veilance line.

User Tag List