Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire x300?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Out of curiosity, what counts s a non-internet opinion for you? one that matches your own?
    No. For the price difference, SureFire WML's are hard to justify, especially without tangible proof that justifies the cost over the other. Again, my experience with them are from street use. I don't partake in weekend warrior fantasy camps where the gear is a perceived testament of capability.

As for price, yes, we typically must justify the expenditure of tax payer funds. Perhaps you can make us a chart on it so that those of us who are ill-informed and swayed by Internet opinion that may or may not match our own can become blessed by your knowledge.

Rob and gtmtnbiker, you guys got your shots in and we're done here with the personal stuff.
    #RESIST

We have generally had better luck with the x300's, but both will work.

I personally purchase X300U's these days and have recently been trying the X400 green laser.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Why does it seem the TLR-1 S have more problems than the TLR-1.

When I was looking to buy a TLR- I was told by a few not to buy the 1S model ? but I never asked what's the difference beside strobe setting.
    I did not know there was a diff except the strobe feature so I'm not sure why people would recommend the regular TLR over the 1S.

I know they have upped the lumens sense the original TLR to the HL and similar models but other than that I am not sure if there are any changes in terms of construction or anything that should change durability.

One of the main things I like about the Surefire attachment system is once you lock it on its set and you don't have to tension it or adjust it to keep it on.

In regards to the Streamlight, we have had guys that's are afraid of over-tensioning (like with a quarter or flat head) so they just do finger tight tension and this causes the light to come loose or completely pop off during actual firing.

These guys were afraid of over-tensioning because of horror stories they had heard of WML's causing malfunctions in Glocks if on too tight.

I personally really like the x300u. I find the momentary on switch on the Surefire very convinent and user friendly. With that said, I use TLR1s HLs. At an LE price, I can almost get two TLRs for one x300. That makes a difference to me as I can equip most of my guns with a light. I've owned 5 TLRs over the last 6 years. Some pull light duty in the night stand, others carried on duty and one on a dedicated training gun that gets abused. I've never had to do more than change batteries. I say you can't go wrong with either.

When trying out the new holster and using the APL I notice the wall had 3 rings. So I sent Dot a email asking what's the deal.

I don't recall the Gen 1 having the 3rings. Should be like my TLR-1 or E2D/P2X
    Rich, my Gen 1 APL has the three rings. This is why I mentioned in my previous post that the X300 has a MUCH better beam - which it does.

For a utility or primary hand-held light, the beam pattern of the APL would make it a non-starter for me. For a WML, where in time of need you'll never notice the rings when tunnel vision kicks in, I believe it would be a non-issue for me. The APL strengths IMO are its compact size and user interface (I like the paddle switches). I wish it had the beam of the X300 but for 1/3 the price and its form factor, the rings-in-the-beam are something I can deal with.

'
    When trying out the new holster and using the APL I notice the wall had 3 rings. So I sent Dot a email asking what's the deal.

I don't recall the Gen 1 having the 3rings. Should be like my TLR-1 or E2D/P2X

I don't mind the lower 200 lumen light for pistols & EDC IWB but that artifact bothers me a little .

Looks like a Hoola Hoop with a doughnut in the middle. Can you check yours? Im almost 100 percent it shouldn't be like that.

Rich, my Gen 1 APL has the three rings. This is why I mentioned in my previous post that the X300 has a MUCH better beam - which it does.

For a utility or primary hand-held light, the beam pattern of the APL would make it a non-starter for me. For a WML, where in time of need you'll never notice the rings when tunnel vision kicks in, I don't see it as an issue as my eyes will be only looking at the front sight with the target illuminated in the beam's center hot spot. The APL strengths IMO are its compact size and user interface (I like the paddle switches). I wish it had the beam of the X300 but for 1/3 the price and its form factor, the rings-in-the-beam are something I can deal with.

After seeing TLR-1's fall off two different rifles, two different times I have avoided purchasing them. Both were attached to a SF pic rail (maybe that's why they jumped?) on M-4's. After the first time the two LEO's used LOTS of torque to prevent them popping off again. But it didn't do the trick. Anecdotal yes, but I can vouch for both shooters being very squared away with 18 and 23 years on the job.

I've long preferred the X300 initially because of the controls. Pushing forward with either side seems very intuitive to me. With the TLR you have to remember which side does what. My first X300 is the original 150 lumen version and I got it in 08 or 09. Since then it's been on my hip on and off duty every day. It's ridden on a G22, then a G21 as a duty weapon. Every qual or training season, in tac gear or plain clothes, countless matches and high round count classes. Partly to preserve the other X300's I own and partly to see how much abuse it can take I use it even on other Glocks during a match or class (17, 19, 34, 17L). I have no idea how many rounds it's seen but it has to be north of 5 or 6 thousand.

I actually prefer the 170 lumen version as I think it's plenty bright enough indoors. I have an X300 Ultra but it's more suited to a long gun outdoors in my opinion. I also hate how much longer it is than the original 300. It's not backwards compatible with most holsters and it's more difficult to conceal.

I have picked up a 2nd Gen APL recently and am looking forward to trying it out. I've talked to two firearms instructors from the FBI and it seems their agency recently tested all the available pistol lights (don't have a list) on all size and calibers of Glock used by their personnel. One told me the APL was the only light with zero malfunctions. The other said it had one malfunction on a G23 and that the G23 had issues with every light. Either way it's supposed to be approved for duty use any day now.

To give an idea of wear on my X300, here are a few pics.

I think the X300U is the best light but I do not like the "push for momentary" switching.
    I've found it to be too sensitive and prone to accidental activation and it does not play well with range bag gun pocket sleeves due again to the easily activated switch.
    For me the best of both worlds would be a X300U with the TLR rocker only switching.

My P30L has a X5L green laser and light combo.
    My 10" bedroom AR has a TLR-2G green laser and light combo.
    My Surefire X300U and Scout are currently sitting in a box somewhere because I'm a green laser convert.

A quick tip for TLR owners, a blob of clear nail polish on the exposed tension screw threads (by the "c" clip) will help keep it from loosening up under recoil.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-15-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List