Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire x300?

I've never had any experience with an X300 but have had a TLR1 for about 4 years. It's a great light and I like it but no where in the greater Sacramento area fixes them. I was removing my gun from holster (kydex) and the battery cap switch broke. It's made out of plastic and where the clip is to lock the cap on broke. I haven't beat on it in anyway. I took it to Sacramento uniforms, that's who Steamlight said would be able to fix it. Sac uniforms said they couldn't and had to send it back to Streamlight, took me about 3 months to get it back. They did not charge me to fix it.

I never found anyone who had a surefire ULTRA mounted on a HK P30. I don't even no if it would properly mount on a P30? If the ULTRA mounted properly . I would take a surefire ultra over any pistol light.

I first choose the Inforce APL but it had problems staying on my P30S rail. I traded it in for Gen 2 APL and it stays on the rail pretty well . but has slight play even when fully screwed in.(Also has 3rings when shined on the wall so I might send it back again)
    Also under hardly any stress I've lock on the APL light when I wanted to flash the area .

Press lite to lock on and Press hard to flash. For me the Streamlight TLR-1 is easier to use.

I choose the TLR-1 300lumen because it has a longer run time 2.5 hours. I hate buying or ordering 123 batteries over the internet.
    Plus I carry 2 flashlights A Nitecore SRT5 750 Lumen and a not as bright Surefire P2x Defender Fury 500 Lumen. If I need more lumens. Highly doubt it.

My TLR-1 is almost a year old and has held up fine. I took the Bezel off and wasn't impressed at all with the LED. Streamlight has a warranty and the TLR-1 are cheap and have a pretty good track record so I don't mind using one for EDC.

I would take a surefire over any pistol light if it mounts properly on my P30S.
    I like the TLR -1 over the APL gen 1 or Gen 2. But I believe the APL LED would take more punishment and is more water resistant than the TLR-1. I like the TLR lever controls over the APL toggle lite press hard press.( to bad they cant split the toggle switch)

For now I will use the TLR-1/P30S for EDC in Tony's custom version V3 or what I call V3IWB-L.

For back up I will use Gen 2 APL /P30S in another of Tony's V3IWB-L ( still waiting on a reply back about the 3 rings that show up so it might be sent back again I could make do but I'm kind a picky about my EDC Gear.. )
    Future a compact surefire pistol light with laser. or a TLR-2G

I beg all members here to send a email to surefire once a month or more and ask for a compact pistol light that 200 lumens or more!

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhitman View Post
    I've never had any experience with an X300 but have had a TLR1 for about 4 years. It's a great light and I like it but no where in the greater Sacramento area fixes them. I was removing my gun from holster (kydex) and the battery cap switch broke. It's made out of plastic and where the clip is to lock the cap on broke. I haven't beat on it in anyway. I took it to Sacramento uniforms, that's who Steamlight said would be able to fix it. Sac uniforms said they couldn't and had to send it back to Streamlight, took me about 3 months to get it back. They did not charge me to fix it.
    I wish streamlight would sell extra levers.

My lever rubs my IWB holster also. I might have my 80yr old father Dremmel the lever down some. he is good with his hands.

Really the TLR-1 is cheap what a little over 100 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    NorthernHeat, did that failure happen through normal use?

The attachment system of the X300 is heavy duty, and the beam pattern is excellent as well with good throw and plenty of spill. I haven't had the Streamlight for quite some time and though I had no issues with it, I agree the X300 is overall the better light (as it should be for the price). I currently use my X300 on a 1187 HD shotgun and on my carbine and an APL on my G17, which is smaller and lighter than the X300 but isn't as heavy-duty. The beam pattern of the X300 is also MUCH better than the APL, though for its intended use the APL is fine.
    '
    I've been having APL problems!

Gen 1 APL not properly mounting on my HK P30S. Has back and forth play and can pop off rail .
    Gen 2 APL mounts a lot better on my P30S. But has very slight sided to side play. No where near as rock solid as the TLR-1. But with my garage testing I think it would stay on the rail.

Yesterday I got Tony`s IWB holster for it . Gen 2 APL/P30S. When trying out the new holster and using the APL I notice the wall had 3 rings. So I sent Dot a email asking what's the deal.

I don't recall the Gen 1 having the 3rings. Should be like my TLR-1 or E2D/P2X

I don't mind the lower 200 lumen light for pistols & EDC IWB but that artifact bothers me a little .

Looks like a Hoola Hoop with a doughnut in the middle. Can you check yours? Im almost 100 percent it shouldn't be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat View Post
    I prefer the attachment method of the X300 to the gun.

I prefer the switches of the TLR.

I have had the backplate ( where the metal clasp attaches to the polymer body on the rear of the light) break on the TLR-1S. I guess the pressure from the metal clasp was too much and caused the polymer to break. I have pics of this.

The light stayed on the gun and functioned but only because the backplate was pushing back against the trigger guard, keeping the batteries in the unit.

I think the X300U is worth the extra $$
    Why does it seem the TLR-1 S have more problems than the TLR-1.

When I was looking to buy a TLR- I was told by a few not to buy the 1S model ? but I never asked what's the difference beside strobe setting.

We have more than a 'few' TLR-1 WML on the street without issue. They are durable and work well in a duty environment. I've yet to see where a Surefire is better than a StreamLight outside of mere Internet opinion.

Given the cost savings, the StreamLight TLR-1 (S) or (HD) is money well spent and money saved over the SureFire.
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 12-15-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I never found anyone who had a surefire ULTRA mounted on a HK P30. I don't even no if it would properly mount on a P30? If the ULTRA mounted properly . I would take a surefire ultra over any pistol light.
    It mounts fine. Looks a little weird because of the shorter barrel of the P30, and might take a bit of effort to get it on, due to the locking plate mechanism, but it'll go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I beg all members here to send a email to surefire once a month or more and ask for a compact pistol light that 200 lumens or more!
    Ah, yes, the X300 Minis. We can only pray they make them one day.

Something to consider between the Streamlights and the Surefires are the tape switches, too, if that's something you're interested in. Once again, the Streamlight "contour remote" is much cheaper, but doesn't have as much of a following as the Surefire DGs.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I've yet to see where a Surefire is better than a StreamLight outside of mere Internet opinion.
    Out of curiosity, what counts s a non-internet opinion for you? one that matches your own?

Most of the benefits of the Surefire come down to personal preference for most of the personally-purchased lights. If you prefer those features over those of the Streamlight, and you have the funds available, then you decide if they are worth the added cost, and purchase accordingly. For me (all internet-y and all) I prefer the mount and the switch of the Surefire, and they are therefore worth the extra paper route I might have to take on to pay for them.

Strangely, I rarely hear the "benefits" of the Streamlight separated from the lower price, which to me is generally a clue.

Site Supporter
    For the OP, In case you missed it..
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ps-Mitch-Rosen

Surefire X300, 170 lumen, $100
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Thanks roy, I was thinkinb the x300u but I imagine 170 lumens is plenty?

User Tag List