Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire x300?

Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire x300?

So I am kind of following Doc's route and standardizing my guns for the next decade. This came about because my wife and I are talking children and I know that will tighten up my finances. So before that takes place I decided to trade off my MP 9fs and Mp9c and get two glock 19s. I did this for a number of reasons but I kind of got off on a rant...

So with the two new pistols I want to have a wml on one for HD. I am currently looking at either the TLR 1 or x300. Is there a significant difference in which I should consider the x300, which is over double the cost, over the tlr 1?

Both are good, though the SF supposedly has the edge in durability. Whether that will be realized in anything other than heavily used/abused equipment is uncertain.

IMO, the bigger difference between the two is the way the rocker switch is used for momentary activation; the TRL1 requires partial movement of the rocker toward the locked-on position, which I have found easier to activate but is easy to over shoot momentary and lock it on. The SF unit's momentary activation requires pushing forward on the end of the rocker switch, which requires greater force than the TLR but cannot be locked on that way.

For a civilian HD weapon, IMO both are good to go.

I prefer the attachment method of the X300 to the gun.

I prefer the switches of the TLR.

I have had the backplate ( where the metal clasp attaches to the polymer body on the rear of the light) break on the TLR-1S. I guess the pressure from the metal clasp was too much and caused the polymer to break. I have pics of this.

The light stayed on the gun and functioned but only because the backplate was pushing back against the trigger guard, keeping the batteries in the unit.

I think the X300U is worth the extra $$

NorthernHeat, did that failure happen through normal use?

The attachment system of the X300 is heavy duty, and the beam pattern is excellent as well with good throw and plenty of spill. I haven't had the Streamlight for quite some time and though I had no issues with it, I agree the X300 is overall the better light (as it should be for the price). I currently use my X300 on a 1187 HD shotgun and on my carbine and an APL on my G17, which is smaller and lighter than the X300 but isn't as heavy-duty. The beam pattern of the X300 is also MUCH better than the APL, though for its intended use the APL is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    NorthernHeat, did that failure happen through normal use?
    I used the light on duty for about a year.

I got the X300U and wanted to try it on duty, so the TLR-1S got put on the home defense Glock.

The gun/light sat in a Safariland 6280 light bearing holster for about 9 months. About once a week the gun would be unloaded and used for dry fire practice.

About a month ago I took the gun out of the holster and unloaded it and looked and saw the backplate of the TLR to be at an angle that it was not normally at.

I could see the plate was pressing back against the front of the trigger guard.

I took the light off and the back plate fell off and batteries came out.

I did check to see if the light still worked on the gun in the condition it was in before I took it off the gun and it did in fact still work.

So the failure actually happened some time over the months the gun /light was sitting in the holster at the house.

I've had a TLR1 for years. Never any issues with it. Is the SF a better light? Yeah it is. I just don't like the SFs switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I like the interface of the streamlight better, especially trying to activate momentary only mode. I use my left thumb to press down on the switch to give me momentary light, on the TLR. To me it feels better than the surefire's way,on the x300 of activating momentary which is pressing in/forward on the switch on the light.
    As far as durability I have had my TLR about two years, but I've only had it on my daily carry gun about six months, so far it has held up to "light"abuse (no pun intended).

I have both and prefer the surefire's switches, attachment, beam and housing. Also, in my subjective, non-scientific judgement, the beam on the streamlight appears to dim as the battery is getting low, and the Surefire appears to be very bright the whole time and just stops when it is out. I like this about the Surefire, but there's also no warning, you need to change your batteries regularly.

I have a TLR-1 on a house gun and it's worked fine for years, but it's hardly taxing duty. If I were to carry a light-mounted pistol daily, I'd go with the extra durability of the Surefire.

thanks for all the responses. I think I am personally leaning more towards the surefire as of right now. I am trying to do the buy once cry once thing so I do not have to readdress it anytime soon.

User Tag List