Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P rattle

Site Supporter
    I personally never bothered to care about rattles in modern polymer service pistols.

There are often posts on HKPro from people very upset that their slide stop rattles on their HK when they shake it. I don't understand. Maybe this comes from the tight slide to frame fit obsession with some 1911 owners?

My M&P 45c does the same thing. The slide even shifts from side to side when dry firing but it's very accurate when I'm doing my part. I've seen some SIGs that could damn near pass for maracas but they run fine.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

It just bugs me because my other M&P FS doesn't have this loose fit.

We are diminished
    Bobbj22 -- Absolutely correct. It's something I dealt with (often by rolling my eyes) when working at SIG. Frame to slide fit, especially on SIG-style locking mechanisms, is all but meaningless.

Comedian -- Don't sweat it. What matters is whether the barrel/slide lock up tight and consistently. The sights you're using to aim the gun are on the slide. So if the sights and the barrel are consistently aligned, the frame looseness has no effect on accuracy. (this is one reason why plenty of people can outshoot a Ransom rest, which relies on frame-to-sight consistency, so to speak)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Bobbj22 -- Absolutely correct. It's something I dealt with (often by rolling my eyes) when working at SIG. Frame to slide fit, especially on SIG-style locking mechanisms, is all but meaningless.

Comedian -- Don't sweat it. What matters is whether the barrel/slide lock up tight and consistently. The sights you're using to aim the gun are on the slide. So if the sights and the barrel are consistently aligned, the frame looseness has no effect on accuracy. (this is one reason why plenty of people can outshoot a Ransom rest, which relies on frame-to-sight consistency, so to speak)

I just cant help myself when picking pistols? I'll always pick the Pistol with No Slop over the pistol with slop.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    New M&P rattle
    I saw the title and I though S&W had come out with some new maracas.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Good to know. Thanks Todd and everyone else that responded in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    I just picked up a new M&P FS 9mm and i am now noticing the slide to frame fit is a bit loose. It actually rattles somewhat if i shake it. Im not thrilled with the fit. Should i be concerned over this?
    Have you gotten to the range yet?

I was told that loose fit is a good thing. It helps with reliability if the weapon is dropped in mud or sand. Does anyone know if this is true?

How loose is too loose?
    Last edited by KeithH; 12-22-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: additional question

User Tag List