Thread: The Long and the Short of 1911 Triggers

Site Supporter

The Long and the Short of 1911 Triggers

I was recently looking at a Colt Gunsite 1911 in the local fun store. Although long triggers are the dominant fashion in 1911s, I've noticed disciples of Jeff Cooper and the gunsite school prefer short triggers. Putting aside hand size, what are the effects of trigger length on shooting performance?

I have XXL hands with proportionate fingers. Col. Cooper also had large hands but preferred short triggers. There are those who claim that short triggers provide a better interface between the finger and the trigger allowing pull straight to the rear regardless of hand size. They also claim the short trigger helps avoid "biceping" i.E.when the finger flexes against the frame of the gun affecting shot placement.

What are your thoughts and experiences on short versus long triggers for 1911?

Short works better with gloves.
    XL hands, I always liked the short trigger best.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Short triggers are too short for me. The "long" trigger fits me best, but the "medium" trigger some prefer works well for me too.

I've never had a problem "biceping" on a 1911. On a 2.5 pound handgun with a 4 pound trigger that shouldn't be too much of a concern.
    3/15/2016

For several decades carrying 1911's I preferred a long trigger and flat mainspring housing:

Since transitioning to slide mounted RDS I have come to appreciate the short trigger and arched mainspring housing:

However given my current handguns needs, I no longer have any desire to carry a 1911 for CCW or Duty use due to the limited magazine capacity and increased costs to initially procure and maintain.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I prefer the short trigger arched MSH -A1 setup. A lot. In fact IMO a straight MSH 1911 has nothing going for it in the way of "natural pointing" as is so often argued. I really dislike them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I don't have long fingers but I still prefer the long trigger. The arched MSH points more naturally for me (heck, I like the Glock grip angle) but I set my guns up with a flat MSH for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There are those who claim that short triggers provide a better interface between the finger and the trigger allowing pull straight to the rear regardless of hand size. They also claim the short trigger helps avoid "biceping" i.E.when the finger flexes against the frame of the gun affecting shot placement.
    This sounds a lot like someone trying to give their subjective preferences elevated privileges.

If avoiding "biceping" or whatever is the goal, then anyone making such a claim would also have to factor in other variables like hand size of the user, what portion of the finger said person places on the trigger face, what type of mainspring housing the gun in question has installed, use of gloves, etc.

User Tag List