Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reconciliing Multiple Holster Positions

No matter what holster, my primary pistol sits between 1-3 o'clock, so there is minimal difference in location.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

For those that are 100% AIWB, do you never have dress situations that would result in an open cover garment? Staying buttoned up or using a vest are options there of course.

Do you ever need deep concealment like Smart Carry and if you do use that, are you drilling that with equivalent reps?

GJMs remarks about the nuances of the cover garment don't get near the play of holster type but that can really influence a clean draw from either.

Tom Given's reasoning for all IWB 3:30 is pretty strong. That'll work for just about every dress situation.

Does it rise to derp if one can ONLY carry one way and can ONLY wear one style of cover garment that is made on just ONE type of fabric?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    No matter what holster, my primary pistol sits between 1-3 o'clock, so there is minimal difference in location.
    Exactly. For me, it's more about AIWB vs OWB/IWB, however, I know where the pistol is. That is, I don't have to think about the location of the pistol; finding the pistol during the draw happens subliminally. To George's point about cover garments: I carry OWB, or IWB on the hip, with open-front garments; AIWB with closed front. I suck at drawing from OWB with closed-front garments.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Tom Given's reasoning for all IWB 3:30 is pretty strong. That'll work for just about every dress situation.
    )
    Depends on how you dress. No way I could carry a G35 at 3:30 and conceal it in most of what I wear. Cover yes, concealment no. Plus my draw time is slower there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm a 50/50 AIWB or IWB depending on dress and activity planned. But whatever carry in play that day; gets numerous "half draws" (hand to grip) THAT day when discretion allows; which is plenty.

I've done enough stuff under serious pressure I've NOT PRACTICED ONCE before the fateful moment; that was more complicated that drawing a fuckin' pistol that I'm confident I can figure this out.

I once watched Steven Seagal diffuse a nuke over a satellite link. Now that's pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I once watched Steven Seagal diffuse a nuke over a satellite link. Now that's pressure!
    Wait, all he did was shoot the laptop!!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't carry AIWB, but I do carry in a number of other positions and use a variety of holsters. I've not found it to be an issue.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Depends on how you dress. No way I could carry a G35 at 3:30 and conceal it in most of what I wear. Cover yes, concealment no. Plus my draw time is slower there.
    Roger that. Me too. If it had to be ONLY one I think Tom has a point but yes going only one would require some changes for sure.

You're carrying a G35 now?

In my experience there are some folks who do everything well and are just plain gifted. They will be smooth, fast, and accurate regardless of the weapon, holster, etc. I'm not one of those people. I need to practice regularly.

I believe most folks are not in that category of gifted shooter, though some convince themselves they are to quell their inner voice and its concerns. I'd bet that most people who believe they can/will execute a perfect draw under stress no matter where the holster is located, haven't drawn the gun under real stress.

Muscle memory is real and we've all experienced it. Whether reaching for your cell phone, gun, sunglasses... our bodies get programmed to do certain actions subconsciously. I've reached for the column of my POV after a week of driving my work car that had a column shifter. My POV has a floor mounted shifter. I know a 20+ year LEO who thought he was going to need to shoot a mope and his hand went to his belt. Luckily the mope gave up as the gun was in a drop leg holster. That holster was replaced that day with a belt mounted version.

Some of us need fewer reps to get the needed muscle memory, but I'd argue some level of it is necessary. If a person does all his range work from a 4 o'clock holster and carries on the street at 1 o'clock then he better be switched on constantly! It's my firm belief that if he has to draw quickly under life and death kind of stresses he will be reaching to the wrong location.

I shoot a local steel match from concealment. I use the same style buttoned shirts or polos I wear on and off duty. The best part is that the technique I use for clearing the garment works on open front suit coats if I'm wearing one and my muscle memory takes over.

All of us take and accept certain risks when a situation requires. For me an example is a shoulder rig during long road trips. I will practice my draws a few days in advance but I know that I need to see the threat well enough in advance to make a deliberate draw ahead of the balloon going up. Given what my lower back will do to me for 18hrs with a belt mounted gun in a car, and the low likelihood that I'll really need it, I am willing to take my chances.

I guess my bottom line is that most of us tend to over estimate our abilities. It's human nature, especially for guys. The best test for things of this type under stress I've found is competition. For those of us with access, force on force with Sims is also excellent. But until a person has drawn a gun because they need it NOW!!... I'd submit they are not going to fully appreciate the simplicity of one standardized location/draw.

I carry AIWB in soft clothes, in a strong side duty holster for uniform patrol, and in a drop holster for SWAT stuff. I train all 3, but admittedly not equally (most of my training is in the drop holster followed by AIWB). I have not had a problem getting them confused under stress, but I believe that's largely because of the context provided by the clothing and equipment I'm wearing. If I have a big heavy vest with plates, I don't catch myself reaching for AIWB...if I'm in jeans and a tshirt I don't reach for a drop holster that's not there. Works for me. I do think that without those contextual reminders I'd probably mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I know a 20+ year LEO who thought he was going to need to shoot a mope and his hand went to his belt. Luckily the mope gave up as the gun was in a drop leg holster. That holster was replaced that day with a belt mounted version.
    I have literally had nightmares about doing that. Unfortunately, I'm short waisted and have to use a drop holster when I wear the heavy vest. And the drop flat out sucks for patrol stuff (ever try to draw from a drop holster while seated in a car...I have...it's not fun).

User Tag List