Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IWI Tavor

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    They're popular here as they've been available for a few years and are non-restricted, which means that you don't have to take them to a range to shoot them.

But literally every single person I know who's run one in 3-gun, for example, ended up going back to an AR to be competitive. I find them manageable but not ideal. I don't like the sight offset and up here, you're changing mags all the time.

But this is the first time someone whose opinion I actually cared about has given one a serious go, so I'm interested to see where this goes.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Another 100 rounds today. I'm really liking this thing, but it still has a long way to go to replace an AR. Most drills were again focused on manipulation, and the more I manipulate this rifle the more I appreciate the ergonomics and controls. Reloads from the belt (Concealed, JM mag pouch) ran 2-2.3 without pushing speed. It's just easy.

I think I have found the best way to use a sling (for me). The sling is a padded Vickers, with one QD attached to the rear-right and one on the front-left. This seems to hold the gun well, doesn't get in the way when I manipulate it and I can transition shoulder if I choose without even loosening the sling. For those here that have much more experience with long guns, what do you think of this?

I apologize in advanced for the bad photos and turtle waxed dome.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    ...I think I have found the best way to use a sling (for me). The sling is a padded Vickers, with one QD attached to the rear-right and one on the front-left. This seems to hold the gun well, doesn't get in the way when I manipulate it and I can transition shoulder if I choose without even loosening the sling. For those here that have much more experience with long guns, what do you think of this?
    I make no claims about relative long gun experience, but this is the way I run my Tavor, and my ARs. I like my Tavor even better after adding a MI extended hand guard and VFH.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

After some shooting and a lot of dry fire I have some more thoughts about this rifle. I will be taking a Pannone carbine class in April, so that will be the real test. In the meantime I will attempt to continue to refine techniques and rifle setup. Here are some thoughts so far:

Layout:

This is my current layout. For now I will be sticking with it as I am liking how slick it feels. Optic is an Aimpoint PRO, I just flipped which side the torque knob is on to help make sure my knuckles don’t hit it when working the charging handle aggressively. I do need a set of backup sights, and will likely order some MBUS pros or Troy battlesights. I’m leaning toward the MBUS pro mostly because I really like how low their profile is.

So far the X300U is easy to reach and convenient for me. So much so I just took the 45 degree rail off the rifle. It surprised me how much better the rifle felt with the rail off. If the Surefire does not cut it for some reason, I will likely get one of the integrated forearms and a pressure switch. I like how slick that type of setup is, but am wondering how the light will hold up to the heat of a suppressor. There is also something about pressure switches that does not give me the warm and fuzzies. That feeling is based on absolutely zero real world tactical operator ninja experience though.

Reaching the light:

Bolt lock reloads:

There are two main options technique wise to release the magazine in the weapon. You can use your off hand index finger to press the release as you strip the magazine out (you don't have to strip it since the magazine will drop free, but I feel it costs no extra time if using the offhand to hit the release anyways). The other option is to use the back of your strong hand thumb (close to the wrist).

Strip:

Back of the hand:

Using your off hand is extremely positive and seems to be fairly natural with the control layouts and I don't see it as a negative to strip the magazine. It is still easy to perform quick reloads by using this method.

If max speed is the goal, using the back of the strong thumb is the way to go. Bumping the release will allow the magazine in the rifle to drop free while you grab your spare mag. One of the potential problems I foresee with this method is the back of the rifle needs to be braced against something for this to work, since the control of the weapon for that slit second completely relies on pulling the rifle into you. Time will tell I guess. In the meantime I will be working both methods.

Inserting a new mag is not too bad although at times I do miss the magwell of even a basic AR, although some of it has to do with being able to easily see into the magwell thanks to its location. After a good push/pull of the magazine I hit the bolt release with the back of my offhand thumb. It is as simple as just rolling your thumb up into the large release, no need to extend my thumb vertically like I would for an AR.

Mag in:

Roll the hand up to release bolt:

Thumb vertical, which I don’t do:

Overall I find the reloads coming very natural and easy. With the exception of the magwell, I am finding that I very slightly prefer the Tavor layout over the AR when performing a reloads.

Trigger:

I still really do not mind the trigger. That being said, I am curious to see what type of potential gains might be had from something nicer. I plan to shoot three positions- standing, kneeling and prone. Basically I am going to shamelessly copy this test. If you like rifle stuff I think that is a fantastic blog to follow.

Anyways, basically in each position I will shoot 10 rounds slow, 10 rounds timed and 10 rounds timed+exerted all at 50 yards (my zero). Then I will remove the extra trigger spring, which should make the pull weight about 4lbs lighter than it is now. If there is a significant improvement, I may spring for a Geissele trigger after all. I will report back when I’m done.

My wife is left handed and I am right. Not infrequently, we share a long gun.

Is the Tavor ambi enough, that if set up for a righty, she can use it without the AUG ejection issue?

Which exact model Tavor is preferred -- looks like there are a number of models?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

GJM,
    If you are looking for a truly ambidextrous bull pup, have you considered FS2000?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post

So far the X300U is easy to reach and convenient for me. So much so I just took the 45 degree rail off the rifle. It surprised me how much better the rifle felt with the rail off. If the Surefire does not cut it for some reason, I will likely get one of the integrated forearms and a pressure switch. I like how slick that type of setup is, but am wondering how the light will hold up to the heat of a suppressor. There is also something about pressure switches that does not give me the warm and fuzzies. That feeling is based on absolutely zero real world tactical operator ninja experience though.
    I can't speak to ninja anything, but a few years back now I was one of a few folks involved in testing a new light offering from a tactical products manufacturer seeking to expand their offerings into the illumination segment. The light had optional pressure switch endcap. Took it out for OPFOR activity I was involved in at the time, and ran it on an AK for a while in the 0300 position, just aft of the muzzle by a few inches, with the switch a bit further back along the lower rail. Ran into light NDs caused by the switch overheating, expanding, and triggering the light; at one point to a constant ON mode that only was remedied when the damn thing cooled down.

Similar issues were encountered by other folks running them on short barreled ARs.

Feedback was provided to the manufacturer of that particular product. Not sure if it was ever remedied... though they did bring the light to the market. Thus always caveat emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    GJM,
    If you are looking for a truly ambidextrous bull pup, have you considered FS2000?
    What I would really prefer is using an AR in .300 BLK with a 9ish inch barrel, that my left hand wife can also shoot. Oh, and it shouldn't need paperwork to wander around the west. Would rather not have another system.

Since that may not be possible, I just bought an AUG since after owning one 20 years, their manual of operation is known.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Tavor is working on a 300blk conversion from what I've seen on the net.
    AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List