Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IWI Tavor

IWI Tavor

Received my Tavor today. Initial impressions are decent, I won't rehash too much here. Unboxing/ disassembly etc are all over the internet if you are curious about any of it. Couple neat things I have noticed so far in just handling/ reading:

1: The rifle now comes with a Pmag instead of those silly rebranded CAA magazines. Nice.
    2: The safety is a little mushy placing it on fire, but clicks nicely on safe.
    3: Trigger is heavy (about 12lb). I will run it factory for at least a few hundred rounds before I decide on upgrading (Geissele).
    3: I like the controls quite a bit in theory, be interesting to see if this holds up in the real world.
    4: There doesn't seem to be a good way to lock the bolt open manually. You can do it, but it is very awkward. I'm assuming any double feed problems will make me resort to ripping th magazine out without locking the bolt.
    5: According to the manual, which is pretty freaking detailed, a 50yd zero is on at 250yd. Im guessing the added height over bore accounts for the extra 50 yards compared to an AR. The manual did not specify a specific load/weight.

The BCM above is an 11.5" and weighs 6lbs 10oz as shown. The Tavor without optic is 7lbs 14.5oz

BCM is actually a hair longer with the stock fully collapsed:

As Neyti has pointed out many times in the AUG thread, once the gun is shouldered the weight disappears. Pretty neat.

The Vortex 1-4 is just a placeholder until the Aimpoint Pro shows up. I also need to decide on a light. I will get some shooting in tomorrow and if anything pops up or is interesting I will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Does Santa come at the begining or end of Hanukah?
    Apparently he comes one week early!!!! Thanks Santa!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

How do you like that Vortex Viper?

It's okay. I think for the money it is decent. The glass is fine, the reticle..... meh. Overall I'm content with it, but not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    How do you like that Vortex Viper?

Sean O,

I'd take a look at your trigger pack. If yours has the assist spring for trigger reset you can try removing that to reduce your trigger weight. I had a Tavor for a while and removed my spring. It made an enormous difference in pull weight and significantly changed the way the trigger felt. It is a simple procedure and takes all of two minutes. It is easily replaced if you decide you want to sell it or would like to keep it stock.

If you need more info I believe there is a post on the bullpup forum about it. Hope you enjoy.

Thanks Mike C. I watched a video on that, but I am a big believer in running a gun stock for awhile first to make sure it functions properly. I plan to do the spring mod before I order the Geissele, so I can compare it directly. I do not like the fact that some report a failure to reset issues after removing the spring though. Did yours have this problem?

Yes, removing the optional return spring does make a noticeable difference. It took mine down to 9 lbs. I didn't notice any reliability issues, but admittedly didn't test it that hard. After swapping in the Geissle trigger pack, the pull is 5.5 lbs, with a much improved feel.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Sean O,

I have to admit that I only put about 2500 rounds through my 18B model before I sold it off. Only about 950-1k of the total round count was without the assist spring. During that time I never cleaned it nor did I have any malfunctions of any kind but the gun wasn't really pushed hard. My understanding is that the assist spring came up after IDF had issues in dusty environments. Personally don't think it would be an issue in most places here in the states but I would certainly put a couple thousand rounds through the gun and vet it without the spring before leaving it that way or relying upon it.

I agree with you about running it stock for a while, and then giving it a shake without the spring as you've decided and go from there. Let us know how it goes.

About 150 rounds through the gun today. I took the Vortex off and just used the factory irons. I had a lot of fun running this gun. The few standouts:

1: I honestly do not mind the trigger. That is easy to say for now, since I only went out to 25 yards (pistol bay). Honestly I thought it would be hell, since that's what everyone says. Running a couple bill drills returned splits of .16 -.17 seconds. It will be interesting to see accuracy at longer ranges though, that could be the decider.
    2: The 40 round P-mag is awesome in this rifle. I did not care for the length of it in an AR for some reason, but with the mag so close to the body the added length doesn't seem to make a difference here.
    3: Colt 20 rounders function fine, but are extremely tight in the rifle. Aluminum GI mags, gen 2 and gen 3 P-mags and a Surefire 60 all worked perfect.
    4: After about 40 rounds of 25 yard shooting testing different magazines and function and another 18 rounds for bill drills, I concentrated on manipulation drills to try to familiarize myself to the rifle:
    ... a) Reloads averaged about 3 seconds from the tactical back pocket spare mag pouch. If I really gamed it, I could do 2 seconds flat without a problem.
    ... b) Tac reloads are easy if you use the back of your strong hand thumb to release the seated mag.
    ... c) Working tap-rack malf drills was interesting. The magazine is seated so far back that one time I tapped the pistol grip as if I was running my Glock. Damn you muscle memory!!
    ... d) This gun take A LOT more effort to work the charging handle compared to an AR. Not to a point were it is unbearable, but noticeable.

I will have the Aimpoint on the way soon. I'm really liking this rifle the more I play with it. I honestly keep giggling like a 6yo kid with a secret every time I pick it up. Everything Neyti mentioned in the AUG thread is making sense and hitting home, and hitting HARD.
    Last edited by Sean O; 12-10-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Ukrainian Special Forces using a license built Tavors in Eastern Ukraine

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...avors-ukraine/

Good link HCM. It would be interesting to read some of their after action reports... Anyone know how the Israelis liked their tavors in the last gaza fight?

User Tag List