Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs 5.56

Has anyone tried a CDM Gear light mount on a lever action?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Hill People Gear is working on a lever action light mount. There might be a pic of a prototype on their site.
    I used a generic, $12.00, 80's/90's flashlight mounting band. Smaller diameter on the magazine, larger diameter on a whatever light fits best, screw through the middle. On the .357 this is not an issue at all.

On the Guide Gun, I tossed whatever light into an offset mount on an XS top rail/sight set up.

Am I going to have some shadow? Yes.
    Am I going to have some light? Yes.
    Enough to PID/IFF? Yes.
    Is it enough to matter in a "Social work" situation with a 45-70? Not that I can think of.

Unless the definition of "Social work" in use is drastically different than mine.

The entire set up set me back less than $100. At what quality .45-70 rounds cost + training ammo + initial expense of the gun.........that $100 for a front sight, rear sight, top rail system, and light mount seemed prefectly reasonable additional costs.

It too has held up over the course of a 100 round session. I'm a firm believer in train/plan on worst case scenario, but I cannot envision carrying, let alone needing .45-70 for more than 100 consecutive rounds to resolve a "socia work" situation.

And if I can ever find a dang H&R Handi-rifle in .45-70 at H&R prices.........I'll rig the same light set up for it as well............

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Am I going to have some shadow? Yes.
    Am I going to have some light? Yes.
    Enough to PID/IFF? Yes.
    Is it enough to matter in a "Social work" situation with a 45-70? Not that I can think of.
    I agree. I've created mounts for both a .30-30 lever gun, and my .308 bolt gun by screwing a piece of rail to side of the forened. Both had a less light on the off side, which really bugged me in an OCD way, but after working with them a bit, I found it was more than sufficient to 1) See a human being at at ranges I could reasonably justify shooting 2) identify them 3) see what they had in their hands 4) see what was behind them and 5) ascertain if they needed to be shot.

I see people people posting pictures of their light mounts on the internets pretty frequently where somebody says "EhrmaGawd! It'll have a SHADOW!" but I found it doesn't really matter when I"m using it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Jeff Cooper was very fond of that rifle.
    As am I! With my reloads it'll punch nickel sized groups at 100 yds(not hot reloads mind you),I love it,was my grandpas back in the 50's,my dad refinished the stock when he was 12 and gave it to me when I was 14,shot two deer and tons of coyotes,rabbits,and squirrels with it,this year elk hunting shot about a foot over a mountain lions back at about 750 yds,would grab it for the zombie apocalypse anytime lol

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    As am I! With my reloads it'll punch nickel sized groups at 100 yds(not hot reloads mind you),I love it,was my grandpas back in the 50's,my dad refinished the stock when he was 12 and gave it to me when I was 14,shot two deer and tons of coyotes,rabbits,and squirrels with it,this year elk hunting shot about a foot over a mountain lions back at about 750 yds,would grab it for the zombie apocalypse anytime lol
    Need photo of your Savage!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Does this qualify GJM as a Furry?

(and before you go thinking yourself witty for saying, "no, it makes him a Horny" ... no, you did't think of it first)

It qualifies me as an idiot. My wife shot that moose four (4!) miles from the float plane, and it took us FOUR days to hump that moose meat out. We now have a rule, of one foot of the moose in the water reachable by floats or inflatable canoe. We took that too literally this fall, as the moose I shot ended up in the water. As in submerged.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are diminished
    We also have a rule: whoever makes reservations first picks where we eat that night.

Next time I'm somewhere that serves moose I'll have some and raise an iced tea toast to you and the Mrs.

Where can I find an up-to-date list of recommended 6.8 factory loads for the various types of targets and uses, i.e. deer, pigs, shooting through glass, home defense, etc? I found a list over at ar15.com but that data looks like it was prepared several years ago and is likely somewhat dated.

Such a list might make a good sticky.

User Tag List