Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There is a whole lotta difference between putting 3000 rounds through a rifle over several years, versus putting 3000 rounds a week through one for 6 consecutive weeks in a demanding training environment--a lot of AR15's can do the first task, very few make it through the second...

FWIW, I am with Jeep--I could easily get through the rest of my life with a G19, 870, AR15, and a longer range .30 cal rifle of some sort.
    I agree completely,now if I could convince the boss aka wife that a carbine course(and the ammo) is money well spent I'd like to see how my DPMS fares ....and my list is the same as yours above,just switch an xdm 4.5 9mm with the Glock,this thread is making me want to keep my 5.56(since I have a nice ammo stash for it )

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I started down that road. I was also interested in suppressing it so I ordered up a Noveske upper with a Switchblock and stainless barrel. Once it was in my hands, I figured out that *for me* a .308 bolt gun (initially I bought a Winchester M70) and a 5.56 AR would do it better, for less, without introducing deviations into my system. I sent the Noveske back.

I still wound up with a 6.8 barrel, that I built into an upper, that I've not ever really done anything with just because I had the upper and handguard and the barrel came up super cheap meaning I only had to really pay retail for the bolt.
    How much for the upper? lol

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I started down that road. I was also interested in suppressing it so I ordered up a Noveske upper with a Switchblock and stainless barrel. Once it was in my hands, I figured out that *for me* a .308 bolt gun (initially I bought a Winchester M70) and a 5.56 AR would do it better, for less, without introducing deviations into my system.
    I'm almost to that conclusion on the bolt gun, and fortunately I don't have too many $$ sunk into 6.8 since I decided to spend some money on parts that could go in any direction (223/300blk/6.8/etc).

My 6.5G was built with .5 moa in mind, because aside from hunting with it, I wanted to play at long range with it. I have plenty of LR rigs though, and if I had been able to find a 1-1.5 moa 6.8, I would have never moved on. I had the opportunity to shoot a few high end 6.8's from several different gunsmiths and companies before I decided on a model to buy. None of them would do better than 2 moa, some did a fair bit worse. Bear in mind that if there was a 6.8 equivalent to FGMM (there wasn't), that still wouldn't really help me, since I needed it to shoot hunting ammo (premium, but still hunting) well. I tried stuff from the big guys as well as the boutiques. None came close to what I was looking for. Your needs and wants may differ.

6.8 mm was designed to go into M4's and be better than our M855 and our enemy's 7.62x39mm for both accuracy and terminal performance. It succeeded fantastically in meeting these goals. It was NEVER intended to be a benchrest or match cartridge.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

6.8 mm was designed to go into M4's and be better than our M855 and our enemy's 7.62x39mm for both accuracy and terminal performance. It succeeded fantastically in meeting these goals. It was NEVER intended to be a benchrest or match cartridge.
    The inherent accuracy of the cartridge is really quite good. Better than many give it credit. I have a BR buddy campaigning a 6-68 and 68 right now. Mostly because he wants to be different.

He makes a good argument for the 68 in score shooting, accounting for bullet diameter and wind resistance. Hes competitive with the 30BR guys save for a select few.

On windless days, he's shooting 2s with the 6 and 3s for the 68.

Bullet, barrel, and chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    I'm almost to that conclusion on the bolt gun, and fortunately I don't have too many $$ sunk into 6.8 since I decided to spend some money on parts that could go in any direction (223/300blk/6.8/etc).
    Well, in truth that's the whole thing of 6.8, that it only requires a different bolt, barrel, and magazines. And, a portion of the hype relative to 300 WTF in that it only requires the different barrel.

I think, just spitballing, that a ~6.5 projectile with a 5.56 case head would be interesting. Especially if it could be made to fit in 5.56 magazines.

Which is why "on paper" I love the thing and have numerous rifles converted to it. It makes far more sense than the 5.56, yet we cling to the 5.56 based on purely logistics. If we threw out ammunition price and availability, I could easily say "all I need are a 9mm, a good 12 ga. and a 6.8SPC carbine and rifle". If I could only get an AUG in 6.8 SPC.........
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I acknowledge that 6.8 has greater terminal ballistic effects than 5.56mm.

I guess the key question for many folks, me included, who are heavily invested in .223/5.56mm and have to foot the bill for ammo, is whether the change to 6.8mm is worth the various costs involved, or is .223/5.56mm good enough? Has anyone here encountered an instance where a properly-placed shot or two or three from a .223 or 5.56mm carbine using a good load has failed to incapacitate a human threat in a reasonable time, particularly at distances of 50 yards or less? If so, could you share the details? Let's define good loads as being those recommended by Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    I acknowledge that 6.8 has greater terminal ballistic effects than 5.56mm.

I guess the key question for many folks, me included, who are heavily invested in .223/5.56mm and have to foot the bill for ammo, is whether the change to 6.8mm is worth the various costs involved, or is .223/5.56mm good enough? Has anyone here encountered an instance where a properly-placed shot or two or three from a .223 or 5.56mm carbine using a good load has failed to incapacitate a human threat in a reasonable time, particularly at distances of 50 yards or less? If so, could you share the details? Let's define good loads as being those recommended by Doc.
    North Hollywood..........I think there may be a video out there.

I may not make sense to re-invest in a 6.8 SPC if you are heavily invested in 5.56mm. I think we are all in that boat. Logistics is a part of the equation, but we need to be honest about this and acknowledge at this point that we are making a logistics choice and not a ballistics choice. The reason I did my 6.8's on the MRP is I can make them back into 5.56mm guns if the logistics need overwhelms the ballistics need. I actually have a ton of 5.56 stuff, but one of the things that will be in the bag with my 12.5" 6.8 "New 30-30" will be a 5.56 mm spare barrel and BCG........just in case.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List