Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    Dude this is awesome,start a thread about ammo and finish with lever guns and camping lol I love it! So in all seriousness what do I need to switch to 6.8? Barrel,bolt,mags? Do I need a new barrel extension? How about .300 blackout with the 110 gr barnes tsx in a 16" barrel?
    Mags and a nice upper. I suggest a 16" bbl, PRI tube.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Who doesn't like camping?? Putting up a tent, a roaring fire, the sound of mischievous raccoons scurrying about???

Personally, I did enough "camping" when I wore green to cure me for a lifetime. Scorpions in boots, coral snakes crawling over you, staying wet for a week or two because of constant rains (with, of course, the resulting immersion foot), and the most fun of all, sleeping in "snow caves" when the wind chill is -70.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Personally, I did enough "camping" when I wore green to cure me for a lifetime..
    This... 1000X this.

Plus, well over half of a 30-year career working out in the weather (either on the road or on the range)... I'm with Todd. An outdoor pool is the definition of "roughing it".

This seems relevant.

Sort of mimics the DB's theory on military operations.........If you can't drive to it on a highway, it isn't worth taking.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    This seems relevant.

Hah. The definition of "abject misery".

BTDT; never again.

I would just like to say thanks to all those that took a moment to post their experiences with the three calibers. Lots of useful information.

As a long range target shooter and varmint hunter, I'm a fan of long, lean, high BC bullets or something with velocity. With that in mind, I have always gravitated toward the 6.5 Grendel/Les Baer although I own neither it or a 6.8, and get where Alpha Sierra is coming from. From a ballistics standpoint, I think the 6.8 is only a slight improvement over the standard 5.56 loadings.

For those that shoot inside a couple hundred yards then this isn't a big issue but recent military actions have required the use of a round that can reach further. While probably not something useful for the typical defensive use, living out in the West I get lots of opportunities to shoot beyond 100 yards, and get bored shooting my rifles/carbines inside that range unless I am going for groups.

I am sure Sean M will chime in and say that anything under a 300 WM isn't enough.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by CompressionIgnition View Post
    I don't hunt moose ! but if one came at me I would unload on him.

Or TEOTWAWKI lost /stranded in the woods I wouldn't have a problem with it either.

BTW When I was a teenager I would climb a tree in order to bush whack WT deer. Things I use to do LOL.
    I haven't hunted since the move but If I go back I would take it up again. stalking deer .rabbit/squirrel / calling.

Site Supporter
    This seems relevant.

I've got that tshirt and a bunch more like them. I will never forget when I came home from a 3 week 7th ID Lightfighter "camping trip" and my wife announced she was bored and wanted to go camping - I was a toxic leader that day.

This seems relevant.

Pretty much what happened to me. Got stuck in a storm for 26 hours outside the wire and then it down-poured for 5 hours after it dissipated. I lost my excitement for beaches and the outdoors.

User Tag List