Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on S&W 60 and other chief special type revolvers

Remember, the M&P340 is quite a bit lighter than the 642 (when one weighs 15 ounces and the other 12 ounces, that is 20% lighter). Those three ounces make all of the difference in the world shooting wise, in my opinion. I maintain, if I was only going to own one gun for the whole rest of my life, it would be a 442 or 642.

I find that the extreme light weight of the scandium j frames makes trigger control very difficult. The light weight gun is hard to keep still over the duration of the long, stiff trigger pull.
    The 442 is just a better gun when it come to shooting.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

My SP101 firing hot 125gr 357 magnum loads (wearing pachmayr grips) is more pleasant to shoot than my 642 with 158gr +P LSWCHP's.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Remember, the M&P340 is quite a bit lighter than the 642 (when one weighs 15 ounces and the other 12 ounces, that is 20% lighter). Those three ounces make all of the difference in the world shooting wise, in my opinion.
    Word up.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

For a while, I shot a (for lack of a better term) outlaw IDPA match with my 642 from a left-hand pocket holster. It really helped hammer in some of the truths about a J-frame's limitations and capabilities. I find that I can shoot a 642 with wadcutters pretty well without pain or suffering... to a point. The day after a 400rd BUG class, I couldn't close either hand. I certainly don't want to ever shoot magnum loads through a Ti/Sc frame snubby. No thank you, mild .38 wadcutters will do juuuuuust fine.

I went ahead and got the M&P 340. First two rounds of Speer .38spl 135gr+P Gold Dots felt okay, but 3-5 got steadily more painful.....then I realized I was making a mistake by choking up high on the grip. The web of my hand was up against the alloy frame right at the point an exposed hammer would be. I'm so used to shooting semi autos that I realized I needed to bring my grip down, and allow the gun to rock back a tad into my palm while my fingers on the front strap and rubber grips absorbed the recoil. Made a BIG difference. Went through a full 100rds of the GDs, and threw in some AE 130gr FMJ for good measure. Still working on getting the trigger down, since again I am not used to such a strong, DA trigger. Took some pointers from an old timer on curling my trigger finger around the trigger more to "stage" the trigger, and my accuracy and timing greatly improved. Hand was a little sore, but I think most of that occurred when I was shooting the +Ps with an improper grip. I might try some short barrel .357mag Gold Dots when I can find them.

Any opinions on the APEX J-frame trigger kit? A 9lb trigger pull sounds very appealing, and it would more closely match the DA/SA triggers I use on Sigs.

I have put an Apex J-frame kit into a 642, and really liked the results. I put a second one into my 442, and liked how it turned out as well. Alas, they do not make one for the 43c.

Skintop911 had less optimal results with his J-frame kit, you might want to check with him also.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    I went ahead and got the M&P 340. First two rounds of Speer .38spl 135gr+P Gold Dots felt okay, but 3-5 got steadily more painful.....then I realized I was making a mistake by choking up high on the grip. The web of my hand was up against the alloy frame right at the point an exposed hammer would be. I'm so used to shooting semi autos that I realized I needed to bring my grip down, and allow the gun to rock back a tad into my palm while my fingers on the front strap and rubber grips absorbed the recoil. Made a BIG difference. Went through a full 100rds of the GDs, and threw in some AE 130gr FMJ for good measure. Still working on getting the trigger down, since again I am not used to such a strong, DA trigger. Took some pointers from an old timer on curling my trigger finger around the trigger more to "stage" the trigger, and my accuracy and timing greatly improved. Hand was a little sore, but I think most of that occurred when I was shooting the +Ps with an improper grip. I might try some short barrel .357mag Gold Dots when I can find them.

Any opinions on the APEX J-frame trigger kit? A 9lb trigger pull sounds very appealing, and it would more closely match the DA/SA triggers I use on Sigs.
    I've had them in 2 j frames without issue (and love them... Wouldn't go back).

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a Model 60 in .357. I am definitely not any kind of revolver expert.

It is exceedingly accurate. Sample of one, and all that. Of all my pistols, it's far and away the best shooter.

But as Tam and others point out, my 642 has replaced it for all but coldest of winter carry. The Model 60 is primarily used for full-power practice sessions, and the Model 43c is used for J frame practice with 22 LR.

I do like it in a parka pocket when I am filling the car with gas in winter. Remove hose from tank, spray with gas, and then ignite the evildoer with one of nyeti's flash-bangs. In Texas, that's pretty much just January.
    And only about one week at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    In Texas, that's pretty much just January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    And only about one week at that.
    I am increasingly convinced the great Chicago fire was started by a southerner who just wanted it to be warm for a few hours. I say that, because sometimes, when it is -4 outside with a windchill of -35, I think about how much warmer it could be if the entire city was on fire....

-Rob

User Tag List