Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on S&W 60 and other chief special type revolvers

Thoughts on S&W 60 and other chief special type revolvers

So the extent of my revolver experiences are playing around with my dad's old service weapons from the 1980s in .38 and .357. I don't necessarily need one, but I'd like to get an older chief special from the 1980s or something else of great quality in .38spl. I'll train with it and might CCW it on occasion, but it might end up being mostly a fun gun. I'd also like to get into reloading for .38spl. Right now I CCW a Sig P239 9mm. I've seen some 1980s S&W 60s in stainless here and there, but I'd like to know what the revolver experts think. Thanks.

Depends on what you really want out of it. The Ruger SP101's are much more shoot able than the Smith&Wesson j frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

If you are not looking for an Airweight type back up, then I agree with Hizzie on the SP-101. I would also look at the 2" K frames as also being far easier to shoot well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    If you are not looking for an Airweight type back up, then I agree with Hizzie on the SP-101. I would also look at the 2" K frames as also being far easier to shoot well.
    I'm looking for a 2 inch k frame right now, preferably a 66...

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I'm looking for a 2 inch k frame right now, preferably a 66...

JR1572
    That will be a 2 1/2. Only the fixed sight guns are 2". The best of the 66's is the 3".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That will be a 2 1/2. Only the fixed sight guns are 2". The best of the 66's is the 3".
    Gotcha. I may have a line on a 2.5 66...

JR1572

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I still like an Airweight J, like a 637, 638, or 442. I think that, for any practical using purposes, they've more or less completely replaced the all-steel guns.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Actually, I have a 2" M-66. Granted, its a SB 66 with a 2" 64 barrel on it, and is about the goofiest-looking thing you've ever seen. But it is one hell of a CQB/shower/car gun…

Personally I'd opt for an airweight Centennial such as a 442 or a 642, as a "best of breed".

They are fun guns to shoot with the right loads. A truly fun lightweight range, and even small game hunting load is a 148 ish grain full wadcutter and 2.3 grains of Clays. Actually there are a number of fun wadcutter loads out there. I've run heavy 5plus grains of Clays loads, but cannot recommend it in a snubby.

UNIQUE is another excellent powder.

Punching decent groups with a little J Frame and target wadcutters is quite satisfying!

I have a Model 60 in .357. I am definitely not any kind of revolver expert.

It is exceedingly accurate. Sample of one, and all that. Of all my pistols, it's far and away the best shooter.

But as Tam and others point out, my 642 has replaced it for all but coldest of winter carry. The Model 60 is primarily used for full-power practice sessions, and the Model 43c is used for J frame practice with 22 LR.

I do like it in a parka pocket when I am filling the car with gas in winter. Remove hose from tank, spray with gas, and then ignite the evildoer with one of nyeti's flash-bangs. In Texas, that's pretty much just January.

User Tag List