Thread: Vertical split rings?

Vertical split rings?

The way I understand it, to correctly mount a scope using horizontal split rings, one aligns the scope (rotationally), and then tightens VERY SLIGHTLY each screw all the way around (like lugs on a rim), while using feeler gauges to make sure each gap ends up the same between ring halves, and that everything is 15-17 inch-lb of torque.*

The way I understand vertically split rings, is that after aligning the scope rotationally, the bottom screws are tightened to the final 15-17 inch-lb, and then the top screws, and then the bottom and top verified. No feeler gauges in all 4 gaps. Much less issue with keeping the scope "straight" while tightening.

Is my understanding correct? If so, it's really pushing me over to ADM or LaRue's camp for a tube-type (non-keyed mount) optic.*

If that is correct, how are the ADM's doing in that role? I have read online (yeah, yeah...) of them shooting loose sometimes, of them requiring multiple tightness adjustments (loosening up after the first range trip), and all sorts of things. I also know that the LaRue, if adjusted tight enough will displace a slight amount of anodizing on the rail, causing dimensional change. The clamping area is also much smaller.

I wish Bobro made a vertical split ring mount, but since they don't...which is the better of the LaRue/ADM? Who uses ADM? Didn't they get a SCAR contract or something? Did it go through? Does anyone really in the door-kicking world use ADM, or are they mainly sold to 3-gunners and typical guys like me who might shoot a class or two a year?

I prefer to keep emotions, and "I hate..." "I love..." "So and so sponsors me..." out of this and just go with technical feel-goods and not emotional feel-goods.

I would ask the ring manufacturer what their intended method of installation is. Cranking one "side" down is not the usual way of tightening split clamps but some may be that way (don't have any ADM or LaRue).

User Tag List