Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New c/c HK P30 or SS P229?

New c/c HK P30 or SS P229?

Looking at purchasing an HK P30 or Sig Sauer P229 mainly for cc. Concerning the P30, there are a few variants & I'm not sure which one I'd like best / would suit me best. Going to hold both this week & see what fits best but what else should I consider? Any tips or info on them is greatly appreciated.

There is an epic and essential thread on the P30 here
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...t-trigger-quot

Read that and the referenced article before comparing the pistols.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Try to shoot them both too. I don't know about the other ranges in your area, but I'm pretty sure Blue Ridge Arsenal have both for rent. Unfortunately they don't have LEM's on their rental guns.

Tough call. I'd go with the SIG over the P30 but I could flip a coin on it and be happy either way. I wouldn't rule out the P2000 either, which I prefer over the P30. A big part of it comes down to how you want your trigger set up but like JollyGreen said, try shooting both. Most ranges that I've been to tend to have a decent assortment of SIGs and HKs for rent.

I carry a HK P30S V3 /TLR-1 IWB at 3:00 for SD

Before that I carried a Sig short extractor P229 with Bar Dot sights.

Even though the P30S feels the best in my hands. I shoot a bit better with the Sig. Maybe its the sights. seems to lock on by magic.

For me the P229 shoots softer to.

Now I wish I new about the P30LS before buying the P30S.

P30L has the same height as the P30 and is only .5 inches longer. That would help my POA and velocity.

Really think you should pick between MK25 VS P30L

Here's another consideration for you.

Police trade in P229's can be found pretty regularly on the used market. They are usually not stainless (as far as I know), don't have a rail, have some holster wear, and you should probably install a parts kit to refresh the wear items that have seen unknown use. That being said, they can be a good value if you are willing to do some tinkering.

Don't forget the P2022 either.

Cheers,
    David

I have a 9mm P30 V2 LEM and a P2022. I carry the P30 because I really like the all around versatility of the LEM but if I were to go to a DA/SA trigger then a Sig would get the nod.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

For clarification, are you referring to an all stainless P229? If so, better feel the weight of one of those boat anchors before making a purchase. For me, in 9mm the P30 all day, every day, and three times on Sunday. In .40, the P229 (aluminum frame) wins out. Nothing handles the .40/.357 like the P229.

Also, the P30 has a $200 mail-in rebate that makes it way cheaper than a new in box P229.

Vending Machine Operator
    I'm a fan of the .40 S&W (I know, I'm a stranger in a strange land) so I have an innate affection for the P229, which owns .40 in the way few other platforms do. In fact, the only ones that handle .40 as well as the P229, in my experience, are poly frames. My PX4 turns .40 into a 9mm (I'm not exaggerating, try one) and the M&P 40 handles it with aplomb as well. As well as they handle it, though, the P229 is probably still the overall champion of the round.

If we're talking 9mm, your question gets lots harder. I'm not a fan of the looks of the P30, but that's totally superficial. The LEM trigger is pretty sweet and in a carry setup polymer tends to equal lightness and lightness is good stuff for carry. Plus, the 229 in 9mm doesn't really have a big capacity boost over the .40.

So I'd say in .40, absolutely the P229. In 9mm, my personal preference is still the P229 but I have to admit the P30 is probably objectively a better choice (if LEM trigger)

You can find the SIG 2022 for under $400 all day long, with night sights, allowing a larger budget for ammo and support items (holster, mags, etc). I had two of them and truly regret selling them. They're outstanding guns for the price point and will serve you well.

User Tag List