Thread: How bout some Long Tom Smiths?

How bout some Long Tom Smiths?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Here's my only example: Model 29-2 8-3/8th Nickel purchased NIPC from J&G Sales for the then-staggering sum of $425.00 (a month's pay for me) through the Beale AFB Rod & Gun Club. This was in the summer of 1978 before I hit 19; God Bless the enabler/supervisor of the club for handling that paperwork!

A box of 20 Federal 240-gr. JHPs cost $8.99 at the BX, and I'd run 20-60 rounds a week through it at the state rec area behind the base where there was a public range. I could hit big rocks on demand out past the 300 yard berm before long, after reading Elmer Keith's articles and Sixguns at the base library.

Good times for a young Cold Warrior in the Dark Days of Carter. Killed a 2.5 year old 6-point whitetail with it in '89; may take it out again as a doe gun this season.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 12-06-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Just picked up this 29-2. It has a bad case of push off, but it's an excuse to put in a narrow smooth trigger and narrow hammer. It is really the only long barreled Smith I have, but everyone should have a 6.5" Dirty Harry gun. Of course while I was picking it up I put another 3" .44 Mag 629 on layaway....arghhh.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 12-06-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I struggled with which one to buy, my Eastwood fanboy wanted a 6-1/2 but I was a compleat Cooper Acolyte by then so went for the long tube. I decided to do Nickel because I'd busted a 5-gallon oil can at 250 yards on leave back in a Tenn. with a buddy's Nickel 8-3/8 M57. He'd never shot past 50 yards with it before.

Where you finding all the old N-frames by the way? PM encouraged.

I've decided to shoot nothing hotter than 240s @1,100 fps anymore in this ol' grand dame.

Between the internet and then having to go to Jackson Armory in Dallas to pick stuff up, it just kills the "gun card".

They also just got in three vintage AUG's........it was a tough day. Thankfully, my 12 year old was with me making the "let's go dad" face.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

29-2

27-2

14-2
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Long range shooting the 6.5" Model 29-2 on the Pahsimeroi. Elmer wrote quite a bit about this valley.

New in box .44 special model 24-3 from the 1980s.

8 & 3/8ths" 29-2 that became a 5"

Last edited by Lost River; 12-22-2014 at 09:10 PM.

User Tag List