Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Is having a hammer for Appendix carry worth changing platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Not that it comes up a lot in these circles, but it's a really good reason not to use Andy Aratoonian, ever. His leather craft is first rate -- and I mean literally the best I own, and I own many many -- but he insists on molding the safety in the down position. A Horseshoe Leather holster will literally force your safety off as you holster. I'll save the epithets, but it's a darn shame.
    I've seen the "safety off" on Horseshoe Leather holsters comments on 1911 forums going back many years. Your's is the first comment I've read from any of the owners of his holsters that said the sweat shield divot actually forced their safety to move. My memories of the subject is that universally, the owners of his holsters, love them, carry Condition 1, and have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    When SLG and I were working on his idea for an appendix holster with John Ralston of 5 Shot Leather, the 1911 model was specifically designed to make sure the safety was on when holstered.
    I am intrigued by the subject. Which makes me think of Jason Burton's pictured 1911 in post #114 in this thread http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...y-Daily/page12

I wonder if Mr. Ralston's holster would have any affect on the safety of Mr. Burton's 1911?

No effect, the safety would simply push the shield aside.

As would I suspect, though I often see others seem to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I've seen the "safety off" on Horseshoe Leather holsters comments on 1911 forums going back many years. Your's is the first comment I've read from any of the owners of his holsters that said the sweat shield divot actually forced their safety to move. My memories of the subject is that universally, the owners of his holsters, love them, carry Condition 1, and have no problems.
    I thought it would work that way too. I would be happy to dig my example out and do a video demo if that would help.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    As would I suspect, though I often see others seem to disagree.
    My aratoonian deactivates even a GI safety. I'll have to try my GI gun in my SME; it's pretty robust, and I wonder whether it would keep the pistol from seating.

JTQ, do you own an SME or an Aratoonian?
    Ignore Alien Orders

I own neither.

I have a RCS Phantom that my 1911 simply pushes the sweat shield out of the way. I also have a High Noon Slide Guard, though I don't really feel that is a worthwhile challenge for my thumb safety since it is just a piece of leather. The thumb safety easily pushes that out of the way.

The owner of M1911.org is possibly the worlds biggest Horseshoe Leather fan, and I believe they are personal friends. This subject occasionally comes up on his forum and others, and it is often commented, Horseshoes design, and website comments are "lawyerisms" and they understand most users will in fact use those holsters for Condition 1 carry, and as I said before, you are the first I've heard that had a problem. I'm not saying it isn't happening to you, or even to others, just that I haven't seen it commented on before, and I haven't run into the issue with my gun or holsters.

Horseshoe, by the way, sells holsters without sweat shields if that is problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I tried several guns with AIWB before settling on a P99 AS. It's the best of both worlds....a smooth, long DA first pull followed by one of the best SA triggers in polymer framed gun there is. Plus, it features a very prominent "cocked or not" indicator on the rear of the pistol...both visual & tactile. I definitely prefer something between me and the trigger when carrying AIWB.
    Ditto.

I have carried the PPQ, VP9, Glock 19, FNS-9 etc and tried AIWB with them.

The first thing is I did was grind-off the sweat-guard from the kydex holsters.

A de-cocked P99 allows an extra margin of safety and is my primary EDC. The other guns are carried 5 o-clock IWB, the Walther is sometimes carried AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by kobudo View Post
    Has anyone heard of any instances of clothing such as shirt,boxers,etc... causing the trigger to pull when reholstering aiwb? That is probably one of my biggest concerns as someone who carries a Glock aiwb and why I always look at what I'm doing when I reholster. That can be hard to do however, with limited lighting.
    I won't say that it can't happen, but I have deliberately tried with a training glock to do it and never was able to "fire" it. I stuffed clothing into the guard and tried to re-holster, and with my finger applying pressure on the trigger and nothing (except a hurt finger).

User Tag List