Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Obligatory 4" Revolver Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Tom, that is a very sweet revolver. How do you like those grips? I am thinking about a set for my 3" GP100, but wanted to ask some folks how they like them before dropping the 90 bucks.

Thanks very much.
    They do not fit the frame as well as I would expect for the price, but overall I like the feel. You can see near the bottom of the trigger guard where the frame is mismatched a bit. There is also a gap at the top near the hammer. I'm thinking about doing some chisel and sandpaper work to improve the fit.

I'm not sure I would spend the $90 retail price tag on them.

Regarding grip size, they fit me well. I don't know how I would measure my hand for a reference, but I can just barely palm a men's basketball if that gives any indication.
    Last edited by Tom Fineis; 12-06-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Grandfather's duty side arm (Model 19) and holster when he worked as a park ranger for the NFS, passed down to me a couple years ago. I remember it having a finish similar to Malamuts when my grandfather had it, but my uncle thinks he's a gunsmith and tried to re blue it. I'll never get that good worn look back, so thinking of sending it to Smith for a factory re blue.

Last edited by hurley842002; 12-06-2014 at 03:15 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Smith & Wesson Model 21-4 Thunder Ranch Special. Bought new back in '04 or '05 when they first hit the market. I have the wood-and-glass display case, too. At least, I think that's what's in the cardboard box that came with the gun; I've never opened it to find out.

I cannot believe that some marketing genius at Smith took what was an ideal formula for a big-bore carry revolver, a round-butt taper-barrel N-frame M&P, and fruited it up with that gold leaf logo and a "display case". Mine got shoved into a kydex holster the day it came out of the box.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    If I remember, Clint Smith didn't really think the gold logo was a great idea either but was just happy S&W had listened and come out with a big-bore fixed sight 4" revolver in blued steel. I think they have sold some 21s without the logo too. Not long after they released the model shown in the pic, they also introduced a .45ACP gun in the square butt configuration -- I had one of those and it was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Mine got shoved into a kydex holster the day it came out of the box.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Smith & Wesson .44 Hand Ejector Third Model, circa 1931. Ugly renickel job; this is another one I'll be paying to have fixed up at some point, although it's a decent shooter as it sits. Less than 5,000 were made, most of which went to Wolf & Klar in Fort Worth, TX. When Clint Smith talked S&W into reintroducing a big-bore fighting sixgun, this is the gun he wanted reintroduced.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My first real revolver.

Hizzie and Tom - thank you both for the data.

I might wait for a used pair to show up on Gunbroker, and then make some slow changes with some fine sandpaper. It could make a good winter project.

I'll post this one just because I like the pic: P&R 13-1. Unfortunately, I no longer
    have the gun because A) a buddy wanted it and B) I find P&R K-Frames hard to
    speedload. I still dig the pic though:

Attachment 2844

plus one old extra pic that I just found on my hard drive just for Nyeti!

Attachment 2845

Bought this thing used. The day I brought it home.

All of this for $500.

The thing spit powder so I sent it to Ruger to get fixed. Sent it back with a new barrel and a set of Wiley Clapp grips.

My old Smith 19-3. My dad used to carry one when he was a cop so I let him hang onto this one for me when I got the Ruger. Please ignore the POS Taurus and NAA.

User Tag List