Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GLOCK front sight Jump

GLOCK front sight Jump

Not sure if this belongs here, or in the gunsmith section. Here's my deal:

I've been struggling with accuracy woes with my Gen4 G19 for a while now. Nothing AWFUL, but I'm measurably and consistently less accurate with my G19 than my Gen4 G26, my Gen4 G23, or my G30S. So, I figured I needed to get back to basics and knuckle down with some dry fire drills. This is what I'm observing:

Whenever I press the trigger on my G19, the front sight "jumps" visibly. Sometimes straight up, sometimes up & left. When I say "jump," I mean it literally looks like a strong vibration snap off true. On occasion, I can see the rear end of the slide rising as I press through the trigger as well - but that's a rare event. The front sight jump, however, happens about 80% of the time. I've tried pressing the trigger straight through with a variety of finger positions, tried "prepping" to the "wall" and pressing through, tried a crush grip, tried a moderate grip, tried one hand strong/weak. I've tried all manners of stock and after market trigger components, including the standard Gen4 trigger & bar, 3rd Gen G17 smooth trigger & bar, dot connector, "-" connector, Ghost Evo ("-" equivalent, allegedly), standard trigger spring, NY1 trigger spring, standard striker spring, heavy duty striker spring. None of these part combinations will make the "jump" go away.

The strangest part is this - it only happens with the G19. All my other Glocks, the front sight is perfectly still if I do my part and don't smash the trigger. I'm a fairly experienced Glock shooter and firearms instructor, have smoked successfully through several "name" programs with other G19s in the past, and have never had the kind of accuracy woes I'm experiencing with this G19.

At this point, I'm open to any thoughts/comments/suggestions...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kevin

Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked your front sight to see if it's loose in the slot?

That would be my first mechanical item to check. Loctite in the slot hasn't worn out, Loctite's still on the set screw and the front sight's not moving around, etc.

I love a good mystery!

Does the trigger feel different in this 19, compared to your other glox with the same trigger parts? Have you detail-stripped the upper to make sure nothing is stuck, like say the firing pin safety?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Front sight is firmly in place with good loctite bond. Stripped the slide for a detail clean a week or two back, everything appears in good order.

It's unusual that, when the striker releases on this pistol, there's a distinctly different FEEL to the striker movement. The only thing I can equate it to is it feels like the gun is vibrating slightly when the striker releases - if that makes any sense. I'm wondering if I have an out of spec striker, or striker channel, or something...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Front sight is firmly in place with good loctite bond. Stripped the slide for a detail clean a week or two back, everything appears in good order.

It's unusual that, when the striker releases on this pistol, there's a distinctly different FEEL to the striker movement. The only thing I can equate it to is it feels like the gun is vibrating slightly when the striker releases - if that makes any sense. I'm wondering if I have an out of spec striker, or striker channel, or something...
    Is it possible that the firing pin safety is barely clearing or rubbing on the striker? You should be able to see finish wear around the safety cuts on the striker if that's the case.

I had one G19 with a noticeable "twang" during dry fire (and much poorer accuracy than my other 5 G19s). I noticed that the end of the "T" on the trigger bar where it engages the stiker was VERY rough - it looked like the plating was poured over the edge like paint over the side of a paint can. It looked significantly worse than my other trigger bars. I polished it but couldn't get all of the roughness out of it. I also installed a reduced power striker spring, and between these two steps it cleared up a LOT of the "twang". I have other G19s for carry, so I didn't worry too much about the reduced power striker spring and in fact have experienced no light strikes to date (about 6,000 rounds on that spring).

We are diminished
    My first guess is variability of part smoothness/fit. Take the parts out of your G23 slide and put them in your G19 slide. Does the problem go away?

Have you checked to see if the connector in your G19 is the "." (dot) connector made specifically for the 4th generation Glocks?

There was an issue way back when they came out where the trigger bar was rubbing hard on the side of the frame, and (simultaneously) had resistance build up thru the trigger break.

P210-6

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. When I get off duty tonight I'll dissect my pistols, mix & match, and see what happens...

OK, so, having dissected and interchanged the parts between my G19, G26, and G23, no combination of parts completely eliminates the sight movement I'm seeing. In fact, the lifting then dropping of the rear of the slide is becoming more pronounced the more I focus on it. At this point I'm back to all the parts in the pistols they originally came out of (I think!), and stumped.

As much as I dread it, based on my fiascos in the 2010-2012 time frame, I think I'm going to have to call GLOCK and see about a trip back to Smyrna... The raising/dropping of the rear of the slide just seems like there's something very out of tolerance going on in the frame/rails, and is something I've never seen before in all the Glocks I've ever owned.

User Tag List