Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stupid, it Burns!

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Slightly off topic, but are you talking about the courses that lead to getting NRA certified? Because if so you and I might need to chat.
    No, I'm not a TC. As long as one can endure the torture of the NRA Instructor class, one basically becomes an instructor. It's a pity, because the standards for shooting and gun handling are low. I work with what we have to get them up to speed... they do a pretty good job.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I think his point was, that hero's hands would separate with each pull of the trigger using "cup & saucer".

Exactly

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    It is for this very reason that I will not pursue any NRA credentials. I've yet to meet an NRA anything that was worth the price of admission for a class. My only NRA cert will remain Range Safety Officer (only because I had to for my Club). I do not wish to share in the stereotype they so richly enjoy.

My teaching remains LE only, my patience when it comes to Derp is absolutely ZERO. No, not Instructor Zero, either.
    Just FYI - the NRA LE division instructor classes aren't bad - they're a whole separate animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    You could always try to be part of a solution instead of making fun of the problem. NRA Basic Pistol classes at my Club don't look like "derp" because I (and a few others I train with regularly) volunteer time to them. I also periodically conduct instructor development with the other NRA instructors. If more "switched on" people got involved with NRA training, it would be a good thing.
    I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I've got it in mind to become an NRA instructor.

Site Supporter
    You could always try to be part of a solution instead of making fun of the problem. NRA Basic Pistol classes at my Club don't look like "derp" because I (and a few others I train with regularly) volunteer time to them. I also periodically conduct instructor development with the other NRA instructors. If more "switched on" people got involved with NRA training, it would be a good thing.
    Totally agree and I'm trying to find the time to attend an NRA counselor course in the future.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    This is one of my primary desires for wanting my NRA certification and to begin teaching classes. For those of you who might recall my early post on how to go about becoming an instructor a few years ago - it seems that life and kids have prevented me from getting it done - but it remains high on my list. If and when i ever have the time.

While I barely merit being a water boy for the likes of many on this board, I know that I could do a lot better than many of the folks teaching the basic classes today at my range.

Really - unless the good folks start getting into the instructing seen, the NRA courses will continue to be the domain of Fudds and derps.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Stay tuned for Part 2, which will be after tonights 4 hour class. Since range time is involved, there's a nonzero possibility i'll witness an ND tonight.

Bets are open for whether Mr Carhartt or Mr Cletus with his XD45 will take the prize for first negligent discharge ! So stay tuned p-f'ers.......
    I'm still wondering why you are torturing yourself thus.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I think his point was, that hero's hands would separate with each pull of the trigger using "cup & saucer".

Oh yeah, that they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    XD45 will take the prize for first negligent discharge
    Ironically, my only ND was with a XD45. Wasn't the gun's fault, just mine.

Slightly on topic, my CHL class had it's fair share of Cletii and unsafe gun handling. I even reported my instructor to the State, as I thought some of his "advise" was unlawful.

In Ohio, there's alot of derp associated with NRA BP classes because it has become big business. The BP class was the foundation for the required training to obtain an Ohio CHL. It is not unusual for classes of 50-70 (at $100 per) with one or two instructors. 2 instructors were just sentenced to jail for passing people without having the required 12 hours of training.

One of the places I teach uses the BP program, so I keep my BP credentials. Most of the instructors are also GOOD LE instructors as well, (which most LE instructors I know are more realistically only good for running people through the state qual course). So we don't see the derp other places do.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List