Thread: muzzle brake vs thread protector on 16" Colt 6920

muzzle brake vs thread protector on 16" Colt 6920

Hi All,

I live in NJ and we basically have 2 options for for AR type rifles, either a non-flash suppressing compensator / muzzle brake OR a thread protector. This needs to be permanently attached to the barrel by pinning and welding in place.

I have a Colt 6920 and will be buying a 6720 (both 16" barrel)......I have shot the 6920 very little and have zero experience with any other rifles of this type.

Both will be used primarily at an indoor range for the foreseeable future and i would like to set both up with the same equipment if possible when i get the 6720.

I am looking for advice on:

Pros / Cons for muzzle brake VS thread protector
    Muzzle break brand/model suggestions if that is the better option

Thanks
    Kevin

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Mc View Post
    Pros / Cons for muzzle brake VS thread protector
    Muzzle brakes, at indoor ranges, can suck for those shooting around you.

A thread protector does nothing for you and will be very loud and emit fireballs. A muzzle brake will also be very loud and emit fireballs, but it will keep the gun flatter and allow for faster follow-up shots. Since your state offers you no quiet or non-flashy options, I would at least take the utility of a muzzle brake over a bare muzzle with a thread protector.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Muzzle brakes, at indoor ranges, can suck for those shooting around you.
    That was one of my concerns....

THIS might be a viable option if you're legally relegated to a bare muzzle or a comp of some sort. Not sure if it's legal in NJ, though.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    THIS might be a viable option if you're legally relegated to a bare muzzle or a comp of some sort. Not sure if it's legal in NJ, though.
    NJ law does not define compensator or muzzle brake, so most people go by the rule of pinky: If you can't fit your pinky past the entrance, then it's considered a comp/brake and not a flash hider.

Example: the BattleComp is regarded as legal by gunfolk in NJ. Regarding the ambiguity of what defines a comp/brake, I've never heard of anyone being accosted by the police over the issue.

Kevin:

My opinion is to shoot the AR15 at an outdoor range, or don't shoot it indoors at all. AR15s, regardless of the muzzle device, are all pretty obscene at an indoor range. Get a 22 if you're going to be shooting indoors....it will be much more enjoyable for everyone around you, cheaper for you, and do the same thing at 25-50 yards that a 5.56 will. There's at least 3 outdoor ranges within an hour of you that I know of.......5 if you go 1.25 hours.

With that being said, get a comp. They're awesome. My 14.5" middy with a battlecomp really doesn't recoil much more than a .22LR. Switching to a carbine system with a flash hider is like shooting a different caliber entirely....it's a significant difference.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks guys....

TGS,
    I agree with outdoor ranges and would be outside all the time, except for the fact that I work 5 minutes from the new range in Woodland Park, they do have a 50yd range that is separate from the 25yd range and it is usually not very busy.

Noted on the .22 it is on my short list to purchase.

Can you confirm that this is the specific unit you have is the BattleComp 1.0, made by this company http://battlecomp.com/

If so I will probably give it a try.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Mc View Post
    Thanks guys....

TGS,
    I agree with outdoor ranges and would be outside all the time, except for the fact that I work 5 minutes from the new range in Woodland Park, they do have a 50yd range that is separate from the 25yd range and it is usually not very busy.

Noted on the .22 it is on my short list to purchase.

Can you confirm that this is the specific unit you have is the BattleComp 1.0, made by this company http://battlecomp.com/

If so I will probably give it a try.

Kevin
    I have the 1.5 since I have a 14.5" barrel. The 1.0 is what you want, though.

Another AR15 I have sports the generic "AR Comp" from ADCO.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List