Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose between these defensive 5.56mm loads

I have noted with several ARs over the years that you won't know what hits to the same POI until you actually go shoot some of the ammo in question. Guessing on "what ammo?" from ballistics charts no workee.

I'm lucky that my work carbine shoots M193, our issued Remington 55gr SP and Hornaday 5.56 60gr SP, and 55gr Tac Bonded, to the same POI at the 100 yard line. Several other choices are all over the target as far as POA=POI
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 12-21-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    If you ditch the Hornady TAP 62 gr JSP Barrier #8125N off the list and add 62/64 Gold Dot/Fusion, you would have a superb list of options--anyone of which I would be happy to use.

The BH 50 gr TSX is a better LE/defensive load than the 70 gr TSX.
    This is an interesting statement as I have been thinking about this as well. The only area where I see the conventional 62-64gr JSP type loads from Hornady, Winchester, and Federal lacking appears to be in glass penetration, and to some extent steel. Most of the other tests including wallboard, and plywood seem to indicate fairly robust penetration and decent terminal performance through common building materials. What advantage would the bonded loads like Gold Dot/Fusion or the ones listed above have in a home defense type situation over the conventional JSPs? I know you have mentioned that RA223R2 has worked well for years where auto glass or steel were not involved. Thank you in advance.

In a pure home defense situation, it may not matter....then again circumstances can turn out to be quite fluid and go in unexpected directions. When using an already somewhat anemic caliber (5.56 mm), it might be prudent to select the ammunition that is the most consistent against a wide variety of scenarios.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In a pure home defense situation, it may not matter....then again circumstances can turn out to be quite fluid and go in unexpected directions. When using an already somewhat anemic caliber (5.56 mm), it might be prudent to select the ammunition that is the most consistent against a wide variety of scenarios.
    Thank you for the response sir. That makes a great deal of sense to go with a load that has the greatest versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    Reasons to go with GMX: 1. It is more readily available than the others for less money. 2. It matches m193 perfectly in my ar15/eotech. 3. Has one of the highest B.C. in a barrier blind round. 4. No exposed lead. 5. GMX bullet cuts when going through tissue. 6. Has the deepest penetration and highest retained weight through auto glass. 7. Is crimped,staked,and sealed to 5.56 pressures. These are the reasons I use this round over the others,I shot a coyote at 120 yds with one round though the heart/lungs,the exit hole was the size of a half dollar and had meat that looked like hamburger drug through the hole,on tests on an old car body GMX out penetrated m855 and m193,in fact the hole going in was almost as big as my friend's 7.62x39 round
    Can you confirm that the case NECK is sealed?
    Can you confirm that they use a "normal" powder and not their "Superformance" crap with the weird pressure curve?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Can you confirm that the case NECK is sealed?
    Can you confirm that they use a "normal" powder and not their "Superformance" crap with the weird pressure curve?
    I'm not sure about the mouth,primer is definitely sealed,they do not use superformance,standard powder is used

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have noted with several ARs over the years that you won't know what hits to the same POI until you actually go shoot some of the ammo in question. Guessing on "waht ammo?" from ballistics charts no workee.

I'm lucky that my work carbine shoots M193, our issued Remington 55gr SP and Hornaday 5.56 60gr SP, and 55gr Tac Bonded, to the same POI at the 100 yard line. Several other choices are all over the target as far as POA=POI
    I will say that 62gr TBBC shoots left in EVERY platform I've tried it in, compared to other rounds. Luck, or odd.

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    I'm not sure about the mouth,primer is definitely sealed,they do not use superformance,standard powder is used
    I bought some. Hornady doesn't even know if it's sealed or not, so I just bought some. I spoke with a "Seth" on the phone, and he told me none of the TAP rounds were. Then I sent an E-mail stating as much, after they told me it was, via E-mail, and got this:
    "I checked with the ammo production manager, so I’m sure the information I gave you is correct. Whoever you talked to should have checked with him. Sorry for the confusion.

Hornady Law Enforcement Team"

and then I actually bought the stuff, tore it down, and Seth did indeed have himself squared away. ZERO sealant on the bullet or neck.

So, really, who the hell's to say unless you buy it and see for yourself. Crazy.

Question, is the Fusion MSR what you would recommend? Is there really different primers in the MSR? Thanks.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

User Tag List