Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edged tool sharpening

Edged tool sharpening

What are you using to sharpen tools? EDC, Kitchen, Outdoor implements.
    How many people use a knife sharpening service?

I was using a "Mick Strider" for a long time. Once I moved from SoCal, the Worksharp is my go to now. Also had good luck with the Spyderco.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I personally use a lansky sharpener. I want to learn to do it by hand, but the lansky is pretty good and *fairly* idiot proof.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

Ceramic sticks for touchup.
    Edge Pro for precise sharpening.
    Bader 2 HP variable speed 2''x72'' belt grinder for major sharpening/stock removal.
    Milwaukee 4'' side grinder with sanding discs for shovels , bush axes post hole diggers etc....
    Tormek for woodworking chisels.
    Various stones: natural, diamond DMT, synthetic that I got pre Edgepro.

Power sharpening works fast BUT also makes mistakes fast. Also avoid heat build up to prevent temper loss.

One of the knife forums like Bladeforum will have lots more information.

****Marking the edge with a magic marker lets you see where you are removing metal.****

Edge-Pro is the best I've found.

It takes a bit more work, but does a better job than anything else out there.

Frequent use of a steel between sharpenings helps.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Ceramic sticks for touchup.
    Edge Pro for precise sharpening.
    Bader 2 HP variable speed 2''x72'' belt grinder for major sharpening/stock removal.
    Milwaukee 4'' side grinder with sanding discs for shovels , bush axes post hole diggers etc....
    Tormek for woodworking chisels.
    Various stones: natural, diamond DMT, synthetic that I got pre Edgepro.

Power sharpening works fast BUT also makes mistakes fast. Also avoid heat build up to prevent temper loss.

One of the knife forums like Bladeforum will have lots more information.

****Marking the edge with a magic marker lets you see where you are removing metal.****
    Yes I've been there and looked at a variety of methods. I'm just curious what people here use. Edge pro gets the highest number of satisfied comments and recommendations there.
    For sure there are some people there really into it. I saw a 400x microscope photo of a single strand of hair that had been split but was still attached. Gives a new meaning to the definition of sharp.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Belt sander.

I used to do knives by hand on wet stones because that is what I grew up doing. I think it's a very good skill to have.

Now I do every knife in the house in 10 minutes or less on a belt sander with varying grits depending on the knife. I think the manual skill of keeping my hands at fixed angles while sharpening on stones makes this easier, though.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

A diamond stone with fine/very fine and piece of cardboard to use as a strop. I read this post from Emerson Knives years ago - http://emersonknives.com/blog/sharpening-your-emerson/ And still follow those basic rules. Take a fine diamond stone and mark out the edge. Dress it lightly, break the burr, strop, repeat until as sharp as I want it. I keep most of my knives with a nice, sharp, but easily maintained working edge. Shaving sharp is good, hair popping sharp is unnecessary for most tasks. If I am doing a lot of cutting ofr cardboard or plastic, I will strop the blade on the cardboard after every ten-fifteen cuts. It keeps the edge up for that kind of work.

-Rob

Watch out for budget knife sharpeners. They'll do it, but take quite a bit of material off the edge.

There's an awesome post on "How to Sharpen Knives" (kitchen, but the same principle applies) using waterstones here at Serious Eats. I agree with misanthropist: it's a good skill to have.
    Sheep Have Wool

I have a Warthog. It's nice when cleaning animals... A few quick passes half way through a deer makes the process go way faster.

User Tag List