Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick some new sights!

Help me pick some new sights!

I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 19 that I need some sights for. Last year, I was amazed at the difference when I switched from standard Glock night sights to Warren Tactical 2 dot sights. I am happy with the Warren's except for 2 things. I would like a high visibility front sight a la Ameriglo Hackathorn/Pro I-dot and I would like a rear sight optimized for racking the slide on a belt, holster, table, etc. I am about 95 percent sure I want to stick with 2 dot but the Trijicon HD's also look promising.

The I-dot's have caught my interest but I have read 2 reviews that said that when the tops of the front and rear are aligned, the circle on the front sight sits too low in the rear sight. Obviously, they are good for up close, how are they for accuracy?

I bought a Glock 19 b/c I think of it as a "jack of all trades" piece of equipment. I am looking for the same thing out of sights. Fast to pick up but still useful for 25 yard accuracy work. I would like to avoid sights that are optimized too much in one direction or the other like the XS Big Dots are. At this point I am wondering if buying Heinie Straight 8 ledge and painting the front sight with a high visibility paint might be the way to go.

If anybody has been down a similar road and can point in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Take a look at 10-8 Performance sights w/brass bead front or Wilson Combat sights w/gold bead front.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Take a look at 10-8 Performance sights w/brass bead front or Wilson Combat sights w/gold bead front.
    Thanks for the reply. I should have specified that I am looking to stick with tritium.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

The 10-8s can be had with tritium (in the front only I think), try a.125 front and .156 rear. You get a good mix of speed and accuracy.

The Ameriglo CAP T is also supposed to be very good; a set is going to go on my next G19.

ETA: the Wilsons with tritium also look good.

We are diminished
    I think this has a lot of potential...

Oh wow. That's fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The 10-8s can be had with tritium (in the front only I think), try a.125 front and .156 rear. You get a good mix of speed and accuracy.

The Ameriglo CAP T is also supposed to be very good; a set is going to go on my next G19.

ETA: the Wilsons with tritium also look good.
    The CAP sights look very interesting. I was a little turned off by them since I read that they require you to cover what you are trying to hit instead of bisecting the target. Am I wrong about that?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think this has a lot of potential...

That looks like the answer but it appears to not be available?

Todd, I have been reading your posts from your Glock 17 test. You went through a number of sights. Looking back, what do you think worked best for you?

Also, I'm glad you are on the mend and back on the forum. This place was not the same without your contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    The CAP sights look very interesting. I was a little turned off by them since I read that they require you to cover what you are trying to hit instead of bisecting the target. Am I wrong about that?
    I think you are correct. I seem to remember that Dave Spaulding, in one of his videos said something along the lines of"put the front sight on what you want to hit". Personally, for a handgun that is meant for self defense, I don't have a problem with that.

However, each gun is different it is possible that the set up will bisect the target in your gun. I assume the 10-8s will bisect the target since that is Hilton Yam's preferred sight picture but again, it may not do that in your gun.

Three aiming points, Todd? Top edge of sight (precision), tritium vial (speed), bottom of sight JUST over a "U" shaped rear notch (distance)?

User Tag List