Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Travis Haley says "don't buy the MagPul DVDs"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve f View Post
    sights are still sights and triggers are still triggers any one can shoot fast up close
    I could probably teach an entire class based on this sentence alone.

While I found some of the stuff in the Magpul DVDs kind of hokey, if a person actually internalizes the information and then practices it regularly, they'll have a better skill base than someone who just shows up at the range with no practice whatsoever. No, they won't be a GM, and yes their stance will be all kinds of messed up, but I sort of view them like I'd view taking the entire Gunsite battery of courses: it's better than not training.
    What would be a better video set to pick up these days? Obviously training class > video.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Most regular folks would likely be shocked that many of the "biggest" and most visible names in the firearms training industry are not necessarily the best individuals to actually train with.
    Agree strongly.

Most of the qualities that people look for in an instructor (operational time, youtube channels and social media presence, branded gear, etc.) aren't really in any way useful to the regular Joe CCW/shooter. it doesn't mean those things preclude one from being a good instructor (both the Kyles, Defoor and Lamb, are exceptions) but those things alone are not enough.

Similarly, most people are ill-equipped to evaluate the training they receive(d) in any sort of objective way, certainly for their first half-dozen classes or so. "Fun" gets confused with "learning", as does improvement through repetition vs. improvement through coaching and teaching.

However, outside of anything dangerous on the range (think, Tactical Response) or dangerous "on the streets", the repetition you'll get at a 2-3 day class is probably better than not shooting at all.

I'm just glad that I started training before the internet clogged things up. If I started now, I would be quite confused as to whom to train with.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I could probably teach an entire class based on this sentence alone.

!00% i do pretty much amazing how that works

Quote Originally Posted by Steve f View Post
    !00% i do pretty much amazing how that works
    I was talking to Uncle Pat the other day, and we were laughing about the good folks with any level of real experience and a solid program are essentially teaching that same stuff, that is in no way magical. You go to these folks to maybe hear things different so it sticks better for how you learn, and to get issues diagnosed. We have figured out that visually verifying that your sights are on, and pressing a trigger straight to the rear with follow through to do it again simply works. It is getting folks to do it correctly, and then the advanced version is doing it under less than optimal conditions, which leads to the classes for doing the same thing in the dark, and while working cars or structures. Simple, but not easy.
    Of course the other part is proper application to when to press the trigger on a person, or in the competition realm, on a target.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    You know, this is exactly why I'm always shoving people towards the Shivworks courses.

I've had some big-name pistol and rifle instruction, and it's all pretty similar and once you've got your head around the fundamentals, it's pretty much all the same. This isn't a complaint; it's just that shooting in and of itself is pretty straightforward. Exactly as Nyeti says, it might not be easy but it's simple.

Where I really like to get the reps in is dealing with competitive, non-consenting, aggressive, self-motivated targets, under conditions that are seriously brain-twisting. Is this a target? Are you about to get asked for directions or suckerpunched? Can you cope with the suckerpunchery? Did you remember to put in your mouthguard?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List