Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Additional spare magazine or BUG

My on duty back up.....................

I've never felt the need to carry a BUG on my own time. If I'm going somewhere where I feel the need for more than one gun I'd better be getting paid for it or I simply don't go there. I always carry at least one spare magazine though.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Always have two spare G19 "offside" mags. It helps to balance the weight of the CCW gun (almost always a Glock 26, sometimes a G19).

I carried a BUG too for well over a decade in the form of a Smith 340PD in an offside pocket holster, but have lately deferred doing so; I've gotten tired of the extra weight and the pocket bulge in my dotage.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

I've never felt the need to carry a BUG on my own time. If I'm going somewhere where I feel the need for more than one gun I'd better be getting paid for it or I simply don't go there.
    I felt the same way… until Katrina blew a wave of trash in here, and much of it stayed. That also killed my hopes of a retirement carrying a J frame and Speed Strip, and not much else.

You've been toting that K9 for a while. My 360PD looks just as bad…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    My 360PD looks just as bad…

That looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I felt the same way… until Katrina blew a wave of trash in here, and much of it stayed. That also killed my hopes of a retirement carrying a J frame and Speed Strip, and not much else.

You've been toting that K9 for a while. My 360PD looks just as bad…

We've got friends in Huston who tell us horror stories about the Katrina trash that blew in and stayed, I feel for you. Been carrying the K9 for nearly two decades and never experienced a single hiccup with it. It and the Alessi ankle rig I carry it in were some of the best money I ever spent.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

My preference is to go with spare magazine(s); with a Glock, it's normally 1 spare (although I've found Bianchi's dual Accumold pouch to be extremely comfortable for 2 spare magazines for my G21-while clearly designed for a duty belt, if also works quite well for concealed carry). When I'm carrying a 1911, there's 2 spare magazines carried. With a 4" revolver, I carry 1 speed strip and one speedloader for reloads.

As mentioned, if greater firepower is needed, I'll likely 1) simply avoid the area; or 2) have my rifle, either as my primary or easily assessible.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

I've never felt the need to carry a BUG on my own time. If I'm going somewhere where I feel the need for more than one gun I'd better be getting paid for it or I simply don't go there. I always carry at least one spare magazine though.
    Buddy that pistol has some serious Character marks. I love it!

I don't carry a BUG when off-duty either. I do carry at least one full size magazine as a spare, sometimes two, depending on the time of the year and where I plan on going. But lately I've been rethinking the concept. I might look into an ankle holster for my Shield. That still will not effect my carrying spare magazines for my primary pistol.

As for Katrina and the trash it blew into Texas, yea. I agree that your hope of going into retirement with a J-frame and a speed strip got washed away with that storm.

Spare magazine. I used to carry a BUG on my ankle or in a pocket while off-duty but as time has passed by I reserve that mode of carry for NPE's.

I know this isn't the LEO section but I sat through and more recently taught in-service...one of those titles was "Officer Safety: Responding to Crimes Off-Duty." While sitting through these classes you would be surprised how many LEO's actually admitted not carrying off-duty. I'd venture a guess that the percentage of carry off-duty is less than 5%. Why am I not surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    SWhile sitting through these classes you would be surprised how many LEO's actually admitted not carrying off-duty. I'd venture a guess that the percentage of carry off-duty is less than 5%. Why am I not surprised?
    If you want to be really disturbed, think about the percent that wouldn't carry ON duty if they weren't required.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    If you want to be really disturbed, think about the percent that wouldn't carry ON duty if they weren't required.
    Word!

User Tag List