Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Additional spare magazine or BUG

I carry a spare magazine and a BUG every day, and my BUG is a pistol that I can "fight" with that feeds off my primary pistol's magazine. If I think that my day is going to be extra "interesting," I carry a second spare magazine (and a second set of cuffs). This can get to be a bit much for everyday carry, but you do what you gotta do. My "work car" has a set of cuffs and a spare magazine in the door pocket, and another spare magazine in the center console. My "go bag" has multiple spare magazines in it, and my plate carrier has three spare handgun magazines.

I had the pleasure of working with some guys who have "seen the elephant" quite a bit, and not a single one of them considers a "basic load" of ammunition to be adequate... I guess that rubbed off on me.

Back to the original question, though, for a non-sworn LEO concealed carrying citizen, I think the question of a BUG or extra spare(s) is a question of dress, carry mode, and capability. Some attire simply doesn't lend itself terribly well to a "fighting" BUG - and people might be better off with more spares. Ankle carry and pocket carry (probably the most prevalent styles of CCW for a "BUG") have severe limitations on the ease of access to the BUG and the capability of BUG you can carry (especially pocket carry). And, frankly, a lot of folks won't train enough with their BUG to be truly effective with it, especially if that BUG is a lightweight, hard-recoiling "un-fun" firearm to shoot.

Having said all that, all the spare magazines in the world won't do you a kitten's worth of good if your primary pistol kittens the bed in the middle of your gunfight, so there's a lot to be said for the BUG, no matter how limited in capability and shootability it is.

So, my answer to the "BUG or more magazines" question is "yes."

Regards,

Kevin

I'd just go eith an extra mag. I've carried a BUG (S&W 642, G26 and a Walther TPH) on and off duty in the past but I don't any longer. I feel comfortable with one gun with an extra mag or two and a good fixed blade. To me the what-ifs simply don't justify the extra weight/bulk. I think of my sidearm as my backup...to the rifle in my car. That being said, I know guys that carry BUGs off duty and on and it works for them.

If I'm expecting a fight, I'll go with the extra magazine.

The fewer things that can be taken from me in a fight and subsequently used against me, the better.

Right or wrong, this is where my mind is after a whole bunch of entangled FOF fights where a "pistol" is present.

Moot point for me anyhow, as NM allows only once concealed firearm to be carried.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Interesting question.

Does it have to be "either / or"?

A G-17 AIWB, a spare mag behind the offside hip with a G26 behind that (accessible with either hand) might work. That's two guns and 46 rounds. I'd add a knife, a good pocket flashlight, and a cell phone to call for air support and call it good.

Moderation in all things.

If I'm thinking the threat level has risen, and I'm able, I avoid the area.

If that's not an option, then I add a second spare 17 rd magazine to the one I will carry. As a civilian, I see no reason one can't add a spare magazine and a BUG.

When in doubt, do both...

Site Supporter
    Curious, wondering if there are documented civilian gun fights/issues that exceeded 35 rounds? Glock 17 + a reload.

Been playing with a 26 on the ankle and I like carrying a bug.

CM

I carry a BUG that will use the same mag as my primary.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    When you carry a bug, you are carrying a spare magazine - it just has a pistol wrapped around it.
    True, but the spare mag does not provide a second gun to give to another person, or the ability to go to it if the primary fails, etc. which is why I feel it has greater utility. Whether that utility is worth it or not is a different question, much the the spare mag itself.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Depends on uniform of the day. Normally, second spare mag and j frame - belt and braces thinking there. Also 2 speed strips for the j, though more out of principle that a weapon should always have a reload than belief that in total round count, or in case it has to be handed off in extremis.

But there are days when concealment must differ, and the second mag might be deleted if doublestack (although almost never if using a more easily concealed single stack), or bug forgone due to clothing issues. Varies by what one can dress around and environment. Likewise whether clinch pick has to be dropped. But these are relatively rare days.

Back in my uniform patrol days, it was a usually a single stack .45 Auto with 4 spare magazines on the belt and two J-frame BUG's (ankle and pocket/vest).

Since I don't have that job anymore, I don't generally feel the need for a BUG--especially given the reliability of my G19 along with 1-2 extra mags. In the extremely rare situation I feel the need for a BUG now, I am inclined to carry a second G19...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List