Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Additional spare magazine or BUG

Site Supporter
    Custom Gen 3 G19 with 2 spare G17 magazines loaded with 147gr. Gold Dot. S&W Shield as a bug with a spare magazine. 2 Benchmade Knives.
    Never known of anyone wanting a smaller gun or less ammo when they found themselves in a defensive situation.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I personally do not normally carry a BUG when not working, but I can see the utility of having a second gun vs a spare mag. I would argue that a second gun would be more useful in more situations than a reload for the primary if you are making an either/or decision between the two. A BUG placed on your off side would allow you a deadly force option on your body should your primary hand become injured or pinned or your primary firearm is damaged. It also allows the arming of a trusted other if a situation warranted it. Of course these considerations must be weighed by considering your ability to conceal multiple firearms within your mode of dress.

My normal off duty is a Glock 19, with extra mag. My on duty BUG (a 442) is small enough that sliding it into my offside front pocket, on or off duty, is really no big deal, so it gets carried off duty pretty often.

I like the ability to causally slide my left hand into a front pocket and have a firing grip already on my gun when I observe people that look like they are out looking for trouble.

This mode is much more discrete than sweeping a cover garment back and acquiring a firing grip on a belt gun.

This may not work for others, but it works fine for me. I like the element of surprise it has afforded me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    My normal off duty is a Glock 19, with extra mag. My on duty BUG (a 442) is small enough that sliding it into my offside front pocket, on or off duty, is really no big deal, so it gets carried off duty pretty often.

I like the ability to causally slide my left hand into a front pocket and have a firing grip already on my gun when I observe people that look like they are out looking for trouble.

This mode is much more discrete than sweeping a cover garment back and acquiring a firing grip on a belt gun.

This may not work for others, but it works fine for me. I like the element of surprise it has afforded me.
    We may be kin. I'm also in the 442 in a pocket always on- and off-duty, along w Speedstrip, mode. I got the pre-lock NIB after they started doing the locks and it's about worn as that Kahr shown earlier.

I have a number of Glocks in all cals but GAP, but whatever cal I carry off duty I carry a spare mag on me and one or two more in the vehicle. Same on duty, except the car mags are 22-round .40 models. Wish they made a 9mm mag that length. Rare times I'm in uniform the 22-rounders are on duty belt for G23.

P.S. I've always got my hand on that Smith whenever I'm in parking lots in my town, and while walking around inside our nearby Wally Whirled. That joint looks like the bar scene from the first Star Wars movie these days...

Okay, I'm probably out to lunch on this but I carry a BUG instead of a spare mag for my primary. It breaks down like this, the primary is a Beretta 92 with a Mec-Gar 18 round mag, the BUG is on my left side in a belt holster and it's a Smith 638.

My logic has been that I wanted the BUG in a place where it was easily accessible with my left hand in case my right hand was injured or in some other way unable to access my primary. My secondary concern was if something totally disabled my primary, I would have another gun. My thinking on all of this may be very wrong-headed, and I'd be very interested in hearing opinions one way or the other.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Okay, I'm probably out to lunch on this but I carry a BUG instead of a spare mag for my primary. It breaks down like this, the primary is a Beretta 92 with a Mec-Gar 18 round mag, the BUG is on my left side in a belt holster and it's a Smith 638.

My logic has been that I wanted the BUG in a place where it was easily accessible with my left hand in case my right hand was injured or in some other way unable to access my primary. My secondary concern was if something totally disabled my primary, I would have another gun. My thinking on all of this may be very wrong-headed, and I'd be very interested in hearing opinions one way or the other.
    I went this way also, though I sort of fell into it. My first carry pistol was my LCP. Eventually I just didn't feel the .380 had enough stopping power, and lurking here long enough convinced me that 6+1 wasn't sufficient capacity. So I changed to an SR9c 9mm with 10+1 as my EDC. But I really like my little LCP and decided to keep it. For some reason, though, I didn't initially carry it as a BUG.
    I've got back problems, and my chiropractor told me that keeping my wallet in my hip pocket was possibly causing my back to curve while sitting. (Primarily a desk job, so I do a lot of that.) He suggested that I either carry the wallet in my front pocket, or put something in the other hip pocket about the same thickness to even things up. So I moved the wallet to the left side and began to carry the LCP in a pocket holster in my right hip pocket.
    OK, everybody say it with me, "After lurking here for a while." I bought into the idea that I could well lose use of the right hand for some reason in a SHTF situation. So, I moved the wallet back to the right side and the LCP to the left side with the grip pointing to the left.
    Now I just need to practice getting it out enough, and shooting it with my left hand enough, that it's a viable backup. My plan is to use the limited range time and ammo I can spare to shoot the LCP almost exclusively left handed. I'll shoot the SR9c mostly with right hand as strong hand.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I am curious (and no this isn't a troll) if there are documented cases of non-LE civilian "gunfights" or "shootings" wherein the good-guy ran dry, either inserted a fresh magazine or retrieved a BUG, and successfully used that action to end the confrontation in his favor. I'd also be curious to know the capacity of the initial magazine in the gun. Let's stick to pistols, as I know of the Harry Beckwith incident where he reloaded his rifle and changed to a subgun.
    This may not be exactly what you are asking for, but here goes anyway. We had a attempted jewelry store robbery in the mid '90s involving two old (60s) ex-cons that resulted in them being shot down by multiple employees of the store. The owner explained in the local paper that he bought a bunch of .38 revolvers "all the same make and model" and seeded them behind the counters so someone was always in reach of at least one. As the fight progressed, each empty revolver was discarded and a loaded one retrieved to keep shooting. Both perps were DRT and a supposedly a loaded 1911 was found on one of them when he was undressed at the ME's office. As I recall they had handguns and at least one shotgun. I believe Mas Ayoob wrote about this event some years ago...

Site Supporter
    I always carry at least one spare mag with my off duty G22 and almost always a 442 or old bobbed hammer M60 in my strong side pants pocket when off the clock. On the clock, my issued G23 and one spare mag and cuffs (plainclothes IA guy) No personally owned firearms on the job, so no BUG.

Holy shitballs.

Am I the only person on this forum who has 16 rounds on them at any given time? Even at 5 rounds per dude, that is 3 bad guys I could engage. I suspect that time and/or distance would be a bigger obstacle than capacity in any multi-threat encounter...
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    Holy shitballs.

Am I the only person on this forum who has 16 rounds on them at any given time? Even at 5 rounds per dude, that is 3 bad guys I could engage. I suspect that time and/or distance would be a bigger obstacle than capacity in any multi-threat encounter...
    I usually carry 14.

That said, JRC is whipping up some cool mag pouches for me which I'll find comfortable so I'll finally carry a spare. I find most pouches to poke me which become very uncomfortable for concealment. Even when on the range, I cant wait to take them off at the end of the day.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-21-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List