Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Additional spare magazine or BUG

Additional spare magazine or BUG

I happened to be speaking with a buddy yesterday, who makes his living prosecuting bad guys. We were discussing the timing of the grand jury announcement, when I asked him if, being in a metro area, he was taking any extra precautions. He mentioned a second spare magazine on his belt.

That got me thinking -- for those who typically carry a 15-17 round capacity pistol, one spare magazine, and desired to increase their capability routinely or on some occasions, would the average individual benefit more from a second spare magazine or a BUG?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I carry two spare mags and a BUG...

Realistically - if you have 34 rounds on you, I think a BUG would be a better choice than another mag. Mainly as you can arm a known friendly - or if you took hits to the primary handgun (and assuming both your hands are not disabled) could transition to the BUG.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

IANASME.

I can't think of any reasonable circumstance I could be in that 45-51 rounds will solve that 30-34 rounds will not. What are those additional rounds buying you? On the other hand, I can think of situations where 30-34 rounds + another gun and 5-8 rounds for it would be useful. You get almost the same number of rounds AND an extra gun. In fact, I'd advocate a BUG over a first spare magazine.
    Sheep Have Wool

Site Supporter
    Generally a BUG. I normally only care 1 reload though, vetting my 42 for pocket carry as an everyday BUG.

I agree with Sheep Have Wool. If I'm already carrying a high capacity gun the BUG seems to offer much more utility than the spare mag.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I agree with Sheep Have Wool. If I'm already carrying a high capacity gun the BUG seems to offer much more utility than the spare mag.
    When you carry a bug, you are carrying a spare magazine - it just has a pistol wrapped around it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I don't disagree with the notion that a BUG has some distinct advantages over just adding a second spare mag, but the "average individual" is probably going to find it a lot easier to just add the second mag. A BUG is probably going to require some thought/effort to conceal and practice deploying, and perhaps Mr. Average is not going to do the work to get there.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

My daily carry is a service pistol and a spare magazine. My "Bug" is a Strider DB fixed blade in my left pocket that will handle a majority of the same chores most are using a 642 for. I have started carrying a 642 (again.......I keep trying this) in a cargo pocket, but I usually forget I have it. My preferred set up is a small fanny pack with a P2000SK in it along with my primary pistol that is belt mounted, if i am headed to a more crime ridden area.
    I also keep a Ti Compact HiTS knife around my neck every waking moment, so even if I grab the fanny pack with the SK to run out to the mail box or let the dog out, I have a back up knife as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I normally carry one spare mag. When I feel I need more, like when traveling or riots are in the area, it is a second pistol instead of another spare mag. Since my second pistol is likely another G19, it is indeed like Mr. Hearn said, another spare mag wrapped in a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I normally carry one spare mag. When I feel I need more, like when traveling or riots are in the area, it is a second pistol instead of another spare mag. Since my second pistol is likely another G19, it is indeed like Mr. Hearn said, another spare mag wrapped in a gun.
    Yes, if the BUG is a G26/19 or equivalent. If the BUG is a J frame, I think it is a closer call, and except in the case of a primary gun problem, would probably take an extra 17 rounds of 124+P over 5 rounds of 38 wrapped in a J frame?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List