Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Safety in IDPA Competition

Well oops!

I don't know how long. I think the A/M will already pretty much have trigger finger discipline down by the time they get to that level. Though their version may be just outside the trigger guard. Don't know how long to change that to register. I've not encountered exactly that circumstance.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 11-29-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What would take longer to teach:

1) Assuming they weren't doing it, a USPSA A or IDPA M shooter to place their finger flat and high against the slide when not shooting.

or

2) The typical LE shooter, that had been tutored on the finger high and flat against the slide, to shoot at the USPSA A or IDPA M level.

My guess is about 10-30 minutes to teach an A/M finger discipline, and 1-3 years to teach the average LE shooter USPSA A or IDPA M skills.
    LE shooters need a wide range of skills for their job, that has little to do with IDPA or USPSA. A/M who has a ton of repetitions doing something not indexed above the frame will take a significant number of reps, and reps under stress to re-learn a new sub-conscious skill to replace and old one.

I know I can teach regular cops to crush their opponents in gunfights in the field in about a year of dedicated work. Have no clue how long it would take to do well in a shooting sport. I imagine it would be the same as anyone else starting new at the sport.

Realistically, I shouldn't have even posted on this thread. I'll just go back to not reading here as it isn't my lane at all....sorry for the interruption.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    LE shooters need a wide range of skills for their job, that has little to do with IDPA or USPSA. A/M who has a ton of repetitions doing something not indexed above the frame will take a significant number of reps, and reps under stress to re-learn a new sub-conscious skill to replace and old one.

I know I can teach regular cops to crush their opponents in gunfights in the field in about a year of dedicated work. Have no clue how long it would take to do well in a shooting sport. I imagine it would be the same as anyone else starting new at the sport.

Realistically, I shouldn't have even posted on this thread. I'll just go back to not reading here as it isn't my lane at all....sorry for the interruption.
    Bah! Darrell, your input is absolutely appreciated. Keep it up, please. That said, I would like some IDPA wheel gun footage when you have time!

BTW, you're new profile addendum if fraking hilarious and made me knee slap and LOL if you don't mind my saying.

t

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I like the hard register in the ejection port a la LAV, Hack and SouthNarc.
    It's physically impossible for people with short fingers to do so. I am one of them. And I will not humor anyone who requires me to do so.

Thanks for all the great comments and analysis.
    I know it's hard to get consensus on anything but would it be fair to say that:

New shooters should be trained to register the trigger finger on the frame and it is more safe to operate than allowing the finger to be just outside the trigger guard. But for shooting sports (IDPA, et.al), shooters are required to keep the muzzle from breaking the 180 rule, and this provides a reasonable safeguard that allows the finger to stay just outside the trigger guard.

I will continue to ask shooters attending my matches to index their trigger finger on the frame during the safety briefings. But I will follow the IDPA rule on calling finger.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

...New shooters should be trained to register the trigger finger on the frame...
    I think it better to emphasize a "High and Hard" index, rather than just on the frame or just outside of the triggerguard. In the end, they have to make the decision for themselves, and they will, and I tell them that they will have to decide upon an index point that works, but I also strongly recommend to them a "High and Hard" index.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I think it better to emphasize a "High and Hard" index, rather than just on the frame or just outside of the triggerguard. In the end, they have to make the decision for themselves, and they will, and I tell them that they will have to decide upon an index point that works, but I also strongly recommend to them a "High and Hard" index.
    Agreed. I teach a "high trigger finger index", where daylight (or as someone else here said "air") is visible thru the guard. At 25ft from the shooter in less than optimal lighting conditions I may not be able to discern if that finger is alongside the trigger guard, or in it.

Others have already stated the multitude of reasons why nasty things can happen during aroused states and handling a handgun.

btw, good thread, as most here are.
    P210-6

Some ranges restrict muzzles going above their berms. This normally is an issue for some people when reloading with muzzle up. I just trained myself to do a reload into the berm, keeping the firearm parallel with the ground. I find it acceptable. I am not convinced that you suffer much in time. Even Tomasie's reloads show minimal muzzle lift during a reload. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls4Uq1aCiTA
    I have run into some shooters who refuse to shoot at a range that restricts high reloads.
    By learning to keep low reloads, I can shoot more often and in a wider variety of matches and circumstances.
    It is a liability issue for the ranges.

What are the thoughts of the members here?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Even Tomasie's reloads show minimal muzzle lift during a reload.
    IMO, his muzzle approaches a 45 degree angle, and that's high. It's not straight up, but it's over the berm at most of the outdoor ranges I've visited.

And, he has a HUGE magwell on there. That is a bit more forgiving from a suboptimal cant.

A different cant doesn't necessarily slow me down, but if I miss the reload it sure does. I flub them less if I point the magwell at my mag pouch.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-21-2015 at 12:23 PM.

My local range (TCGC in Portland) also forbids muzzle above the berm. I don't find it a handicap for reloads in IDPA or multigun. For me a muzzle-up reload seems slightly faster, but with a muzzle-level reload I think I can get back on target quicker.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List