Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: wadcutter in snubbie

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have seen the backwards HBWCs yaw badly, and also seen them fail to expand in testing. Great idea in theory, not so much in real life.
    Yes, definitely a short-range proposition. These were all the rage among certain old school coppers when I was a yearling; was considered the ideal load for a back-up J frame. I tried it, wasn't impressed with the down-range accuracy, and went back to the good old FBI load.

By the time I got in a position where I had access to data from gunfights, the practice had fallen out of vogue.

The only secret magic reloaded in a buddy's basement snub load that ever made me go "Hmmmmm" was a friend's idea involving Speer birdshot capsules and three pellets of OO buck.
    That said idea had one real world shooting in which it did rather well against three bad guys was on the plus side as far as ideas go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    How was the accuracy with the S&B.
    I didn't shoot any groups, so I don't know. Sorry. I only had one box with a few rounds left.

Bill, re:
    S&B 148 lead wadcutter: 513, 542, 493, 517, 527.
    I do remember seeing this. Thanks for re-posting. At the time I first read it, I don't think I was considering carrying WCs. Regardless of speed, I don't think Doctor Roberts places S&B in the same top tier category for QC as other brands, but unfortunately it's the only WC I have available.

Chuck, re:
    I didn't think the BB WCs were too bad, but the recoil was up there, and if I am going to deal with that level of recoil I'll just use the 135gr Gold Dots.
    That was my thought as well. That and I still get an uneasy feeling with regard to BBs claim for high speed, heavy weight, and standard pressure. I don't know enough about loading ammo to know that these claims can't be accurate, and I am not trying to bad mouth BB - for the most part I hear nothing but praise for their products, including their QC, but it all seems too good to be true, and, well, you all know the rest of that saying.

I'll wait for some Winchester WCs and see how they work for me. Hopefully, I can soon pick up some Federal and Remington as well. I've always been a fan of Federal ammo, and the consistency reported earlier was impressive. Until then - Lawn Darts.

The only secret magic reloaded in a buddy's basement snub load that ever made me go "Hmmmmm" was a friend's idea involving Speer birdshot capsules and three pellets of OO buck.
    That said idea had one real world shooting in which it did rather well against three bad guys was on the plus side as far as ideas go.
    Would that be... a Judge-frame?

Those S&B wadcutters are going too slow...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Would that be... a Judge-frame?

Actually those were launched from a Colt Cobra, so it looks more like the bad guys were snake bit.

Actually those were launched from a Colt Cobra, so it looks more like the bad guys were snake bit.
    Touche.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I posted this a couple of months ago:

Today I used a recent manufactured S&W 442 no lock with the biggest Pachmayer grips I could find.
    Fed Gold Match 148 wadcutters: 640, 640, 637, 641, 639. Pretty consistent.
    Gold Dot +P 135 gr GDHP: 752, 803, 830, 824, 827.
    Win +P 158 LSWCHP: 761, 724, 752, 765, 724.
    S&B 148 lead wadcutter: 513, 542, 493, 517, 527.

Notice that the velocity from the S&B wad cutters was very low in my sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Yes--I don't use S&B wadcutters for that reason. They are so slow I figure that the penetration will be lacking--though I've never shot them into gelatin so that is simply my assumption. Does anyone here think those velocities are enough for adequate penetration? The reason I ask is because they are the one brand of wadcutter that seems fairly readily available.
    My petite wife uses the S&B 148 grain WC for PRACTICE... and the Winchester 148 grain WC for REAL LIFE...
    The S&B load may be low velocity, but it is also low priced... so we prefer it, but for practice only.
    Her revolver is a 3" heavy-barreled S&W Model 64 M&P w/Hogue round-butt rubber combat grips, and a good action job.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We are talking about FULL 148 gr target wadcutters, NOT semi-wadcutter. Low recoil, good penetration with the 148 gr full wadcutters--Black Hills, Federal, Remington, Winchester all make acceptable loads.

Likewise there is nothing wrong with using the 135 gr Gold Dot's, 130 gr Winchester bonded, or the Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense either--I have no issues relying on those and have seen them work well in OIS incidents.
    How about the Corbon 110 gr. DPX +P compared to the 135 gr Gold Dot's, 130 gr Winchester bonded, and the Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense?

Regarding the Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense, standard or +P?

User Tag List