Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did the HST .357 Magnum ever come out?

Did the HST .357 Magnum ever come out?

I saw an ad for about one year ago and have never seen them on sale. Thanks

I saw some for sale at the gun show in Dulles, VA last month. 36.99 a box of 20 led me to pass, but they were there!

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    I saw an ad for about one year ago and have never seen them on sale. Thanks

They list it on the website: https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...P357HST1S.html - currently unavailable.

I haven't seen any out there yet.

135-grain Critical Duty is out there and a good choice if you need a .357 Mag load that meets FBI Protocols.

I made my own with pulled 147gr 9mm hsts
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    1340 fps! That’s over 100 fps faster than 158s. Pretty spicy. I’d like to get some just to chronograph it. It’d be confined to my 681 if I were to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They list it on the website: https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...P357HST1S.html - currently unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    1340 fps! That’s over 100 fps faster than 158s. Pretty spicy. I’d like to get some just to chronograph it.
    Those ballistics charts for the .357 Magnum HST are WRONG.

The projectile would have to have an extremely poor G1 ballistic coefficient of .051 for the listed 100 yard trajectory and velocity drop to be correct.

There is no chance of a Federal 154gr HST clocking over 1250 fps from a 4" .357 Magnum revolver.
    Even Buffalo Bore doesn't load their "Tactical" 357 Mag that hot.

Apparently all of Federal's proofreaders are on the assembly line cranking out .30 Super Carry.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

135-grain Critical Duty is out there and a good choice if you need a .357 Mag load that meets FBI Protocols.
    Just ordered a 200-round case of Winchester's 145 grain Silvertip HP .357 Magnum. Paid just under $1 per round. This load has a good track record over several decades, and did OK in the FBI test protocol. This load had been well discussed on this site.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    Just ordered a 200-round case of Winchester's 145 grain Silvertip HP .357 Magnum. Paid just under $1 per round. This load has a good track record over several decades, and did OK in the FBI test protocol. This load had been well discussed on this site.
    Is that Silvertip load the load that had a pretty high profile failure? I recall an incident with a State Trooper killed in the line of duty by a .25 or .32 after dumping a cylinder of .357 Mag that expanded too fast and didn't penetrate.

I'm not throwing stones at you, and an anecdotal incident doesn't make it a bad load, just genuinely curious.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    IIRC, that load had a pretty good reputation back in the day. @JonInWA had issues with recent production of it, seems the primers were too hard for reliable ignition.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    IIRC, that load had a pretty good reputation back in the day. @JonInWA had issues with recent production of it, seems the primers were too hard for reliable ignition.
    Yep, I did. And I had great hopes for it, but when I consistently had ignition failures with it with a GP100 that had recently had a thorough inspection and re-springing by Ruger with their 14# mainspring, it became a no-go/no-recommend.

In the GP100, my current carry load is 158 gr Federal HydraShok, which I've found consistently reliable.

The only way I'd even consider current production Winchester 145 gr Silvertips would be if Winchester gave me a case of it gratis for me to run through to thoroughly vet performance.

Here's the p-f thread where I discussed it in some detail: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....cal-IDPA-Match

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List