Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: wadcutter in snubbie

If I had a 432 I'd be checking this out;
    http://www.hornady.com/store/32-H-an...tical-Defense/

The uber light Centennial style .32H&Rs are the one J frame I wish S&W would bring back. I'd buy three of them, just in case.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    When I got my 432 - SW had discontinued them and they were dumped at TX gun shows for $335. I should have bought more than one and then I would wheel and deal!

That Hornady load is interesting. Haven't seen it in the stores - we only get the Federal around here.

www.agiletactical.com

By the way, SG Ammo has 148 gr. Remington wadcutters back in stock at around $23 per box. http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-spe...t-ammo-rtg38s3.

I still say the BB LSWCHP 158+P is the best load out there for snubbies, and I've yet to see any data that contradicts that. I would honestly like for the people who disagree with that to point me to some data supporting their claim, this is a genuine request.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveSigs View Post
    I still say the BB LSWCHP 158+P is the best load out there for snubbies, and I've yet to see any data that contradicts that. I would honestly like for the people who disagree with that to point me to some data supporting their claim, this is a genuine request.

I take it that you don't have arthritis in your wrists and hands. However, putting that aside the question is whether it will reliably expand out of a snubbie, and there are a lot of reports that it doesn't. From a 3 inch all-steel gun, I'd be willing to use the Remington or Federal versions of that load, though.

www.agiletactical.com

That wasn't the +P load, but I doubt there would have been much of a difference. My guess is that bullet worked slightly better than a wadcutter, but obviously not a lot.

Yeah, not the +P load and there's a big difference in velocity between the two (850 in the standard pressure and 1040 in the +P = ~180 FPS) so I'd be surprised if there wasn't quite a difference in performance.

Also, again, those reports that it doesn't expand reliably (to be clear, I'm interested in the +P load here): I'd be more than happy to take a look at them but I have to see them first and they need to be at least half-ass credible.

Edit: Here's a video I found of the +P loading being tested in gel with 4 layers of denim (fired from a 2" barreled S&W 638):

Penetrated to 12.1" and expanded to an average of 0.65". Seems good to go to me.

I found the thread from that test (started by the person who actually did it): http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....-158-gr-LSWCHP

BrassFetcher is showing solid performance for it, too: 13" penetration and solid expansion in bare 10% ordnance gel.
    Last edited by ILoveSigs; 02-05-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveSigs View Post
    OK, best for what/who? It maybe the "best" load for you personally, but it's a bold statement to proclaim it best in general. ALL 158 +P loads out of an Airweight, FOR ME, and just about everyone else I ever seen shoot them, are not conducive to putting rapid hits on target. I can put more rounds accurately on target with the wadcutters than with any 158+P load. That's why those are "best" for me. They cut a full wound channel, are accurate, and easy to control in Airweight revolvers. I carry a 9mm and not a full power 10mm for the same reason.

Different people put an emphases on different things for a variety of reasons. Nothing wrong with that.

User Tag List