Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You don't need to see the target that sharply, just the front sight.

So I was shooting 7 and 10 yard Bill drills today (Gen 3 17, Taran FO sights, stock trigger except for minus connector, 115 PMC ammo), and decided to transition directly to 25 yard Bill drills on the head. For all, close and far using the no-prep, one stroke method. My wife was doing the same. Here were my two 25 yard Bills:

.L]
    Is it really a Bill drill if you don't mention the time?

My wife and I had a range session this afternoon. Yesterday, my buddy commented that he didn't think the one press method worked for him support hand only. I told him I thought it worked especially well support hand only. Near the end of our practice session, I decided to shoot some groups at 25 yards, support hand only. I shot these three groups at 25, all with my G17, Lawman ammo, Taran sights, OEM barrel.

Then my wife, using the one press method shot this group at 25 yards with her G34 and PMC ammo:

And this at 25, support hand only, same method:

Since I will be carrying my G26 next week on a trip, I shot these two groups at 25, with my G26, Gold Dot 124+P, support hand only:

The way I shoot these groups, I never feel the wall of the Glock trigger -- I start with my finger lightly on the face of the trigger and continue increasing pressure until the shot breaks. Never feel the stress of when is the shot going to break.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm not feeling it yet but I'll work with it for a spell. It will have to catch fire though to leave my Surf style though. And how about the amazing G26? That little pistol just continues to amaze me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter

Since I will be carrying my G26 next week on a trip, I shot these two groups at 25, with my G26, Gold Dot 124+P, support hand only.
    Going to a state with a 10 round limit? If so, curious why a G26 and not your chopped 19?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Going to a state with a 10 round limit? If so, curious why a G26 and not your chopped 19?
    I think I can hang onto my 26 better, with its Gen 4 texture. The chopped 19 is Gen 3, and with flat bottom G26 mags, it is more slippery.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    I frequently put our shooters on a trigger press graph, where they press a Glock trigger that has a sensor in it which plots a line on a computer screen for trigger finger force on the Y axis and time on the X axis. When you press straight through the trigger with constantly increasing pressure, it looks like a smooth and fairly straight diagonal line up until the trigger breaks. When you prep the trigger, you see a diagonal line, and then it flattens out because the force is held constant, and then you see a spike when you press through the break point. This spike is never consistent from one trigger press to the next, especially when you put shooters on a timer and have them try to draw and shoot under a par time. You get a good visual representation of what they do to the trigger with varying levels of par time. The shooters who press straight through the trigger from start to finish usually show a similar trigger graph regardless of the time compression, although they may press through the trigger faster with a faster par time, the graph still shows an straight increasing force line until the trigger breaks.
    If you ever have screenshots or pictures of those graphs I'd love to see them. It would be much easier to explain the trigger pull with that kind of visual aid vice trying to use analogies like gas pedals and marshmallows.
    3/15/2016

The way I shoot these groups, I never feel the wall of the Glock trigger -- I start with my finger lightly on the face of the trigger and continue increasing pressure until the shot breaks. Never feel the stress of when is the shot going to break.
    Great shooting GJM. I would love to be able to shoot groups like that on demand. Am I understanding you correctly that the main advantage of this method for you is mental, not biomechanical?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Great shooting GJM. I would love to be able to shoot groups like that on demand. Am I understanding you correctly that the main advantage of this method for you is mental, not biomechanical?
    I think it is some of both!

I have a theory on shooting a Glock trigger, that involves a nail
    gun, and discussions with Gabe, but I am too tired to elaborate now. Shooting with Manny Bragg the next two days, so I suspect I will have more ideas after Wednesday.

Looking forward to hearing about nail guns when you have time. I see Gabe at a couple of our local matches each month, and will definitely ask him to elaborate. Have fun with Manny!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Ok G, I got some focused practice with this today at 25 yards. I am just getting started with this approach so who knows if this early exposure will hold. But I saw a thing or two that struck me as interesting. I shot a Gen 4 G26 (factory dot connector) and a Gen 3 G17 (minus connector).

With both guns my 5 shot groups were tighter shooting with my long habituated prep/break (Surf described it well) than with the DA wheelie style pull. But, the groups with the G26 were much closer to equal between the two modes than the 17s. And the G26 felt remarkably easy to roll though 5 shots at a brisk pace and deliver a group using up pretty much all of a 4x6 card; whereas it was "harder" in terms of control to execute the same with the G17 and it's minus trigger. On that 17 my groups opened up in DA wheelie mode vs prep/press; more than I saw in the 26's groups and the Gen 4 G26 groups were actually distinctly better than G17s when rolling the DA pull.

I found it pretty interesting that shooting them side by side like that revealed more difference in those two pistol's triggers than I was consciously aware of previously.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List