Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Glock trigger manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Ok G, I got some focused practice with this today at 25 yards. I am just getting started with this approach so who knows if this early exposure will hold. But I saw a thing or two that struck me as interesting. I shot a Gen 4 G26 (factory dot connector) and a Gen 3 G17 (minus connector).

With both guns my 5 shot groups were tighter shooting with my long habituated prep/break (Surf described it well) than with the DA wheelie style pull. But, the groups with the G26 were much closer to equal between the two modes than the 17s. And the G26 felt remarkably easy to roll though 5 shots at a brisk pace and deliver a group using up pretty much all of a 4x6 card; whereas it was "harder" in terms of control to execute the same with the G17 and it's minus trigger. On that 17 my groups opened up in DA wheelie mode vs prep/press; more than I saw in the 26's groups and the Gen 4 G26 groups were actually distinctly better than G17s when rolling the DA pull.

I found it pretty interesting that shooting them side by side like that revealed more difference in those two pistol's triggers than I was consciously aware of previously.
    I had continued this conversation with GJM elsewhere, but I think our styles are pretty similar for the most part on the majority of my own shooting. I think the distinction was a bit lost in the instances in which I might prep and break a shot. But to backtrack just a bit, I would guess that probably 90+% of my own shooting has absolutely no prep between shots. Realistically under time demand for the greater part of my distances at which I shoot with the required accuracy / precision of these shots, I will not opt to worry about a reset and a prep. In fact, it is my opinion that if I am actually prepping and pressing as a two part process I am probably shooting a bit slower than I care to be shooting and this is even resetting under recoil. I might add that even if I am shooting out to 25 yards I am probably doing it fairly quickly and will pull all the way through the trigger.

The only time I have a real calculated effort at a prep and pull is if I am shooting for extreme precision and I have all the time in the world to do it. As an example if I am shooting a one hole drill, or trying to shoot several rounds through the exact same hole at say 5-7 yards, I will have a definitive "routine" that I go through that includes prepping the trigger as discussed prior. Or if I am shooting small targets at say 100+ yards with time on my side, same thing with the prep. I am so tuned in on my trigger that I actually feel and see the ever so slight movement in the sights as the trigger bar disconnect hits and moves up the firing pin safety, so yes in these instances I go through my trigger prep routine.

So when I use a technique where I pull through the trigger in one movement, I let the trigger out beyond reset but do not break finger contact on the trigger. I do not have a "prep" at this time, but I start the next pull from the forward most position and pull right through. I do not "pin" the trigger to the rear, but start the reset process during the recoil phase. People who focus too much on trigger pull and a release only to sear reset tend to have a "rigid" or "mechanical like" trigger pull. As an example, they will "pin" the trigger to the rear, wait for the weapon to settle from recoil and then reset the trigger. With the Glock you will hear the distinctive "click" when resetting. As an example when I fire, you will hear no audible reset as it is happening during the recoil and covered by the sound of the weapon being fired. OTOH, if I am going for extreme precision I will "prep", "pin" the trigger to the rear so as to not chance imparting any movement during ignition from additional trigger finger movement, then I will purposefully "reset" the trigger and "re-pre" before going through my breath control and firing process again. In this type of shooting you will hear the audible "resetting" of the trigger.

This video was meant to show how I place my finger on the trigger with my technique and how I run the trigger finger from the middle joint forward. You will note that the trigger finger goes beyond "reset" but tries not to break finger contact with the trigger. When I shoot a string a fire where I break trigger finger contact with a "flip and press" motion as in with a short through low poundage 1911 trigger, it does not work well for me with a Glock. My shooting not only slows, but the accuracy and precision decreases. The thing to note is I am NOT worrying about a prep during the strings of fire. There just is no time for it. Please note that I was watching the camera screen in an attempt to keep the pistol in frame and also my support thumb is purposely "bent" in order to not obscure the view of the trigger guard and trigger finger and my wrist is not "locked out" so my grip is definitely a bit compromised, but the point is the trigger finger manipulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO6jm3atF7E
    Last edited by Surf; 12-08-2014 at 11:46 PM.

User Tag List