Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This "special Glock trigger" thing, finally caused me to understand what makes Darryl tick. It came to me while landing off airport in the desert this morning.

Darryl wants custom, wants special, and doesn't want what the other kids have. That means an HK for a pistol. Since everyone has to have a Glock, including Darryl, his Glock has to have a special, different trigger. If it is an AR, it will be a special one. Then there is the whole new "niche" for the AUG, the one hand pistol/carbine, since even fewer people have those. If I was in the custom cool gun business, I would want Darryl as my main customer.

OK, Wayne, am I right?
    Pot calling Kettle, Pot calling Kettle, the code word is Black.......come in Kettle.........

I'm actually just a guy ahead of his time. Take a look at Glock chops, AIWB carry, and Fanny packs.......
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I did some experimenting yesterday, comparing the one press method to prepping the trigger. I chose the task of drawing to a one inch square at 7 yards at speed, which is a real anticipation trap between the tough target and timer. Short answer is I went 5/7 to the square, with the other two shots almost touching the square. Absolutely no anticipation issues doing it as one long press. I a,so did a similar thing drawing to an 8 inch at 30 yards with the same result. This is the kind of shooting that conventional wisdom would say you need to prep the trigger, yet I felt one press was WAY easier.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are diminished
    As I've said many times before (see also TC's explanation here) I try never to stop adding pressure to the trigger once I begin (unless, obviously, the decision to shoot changes).

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I did some experimenting yesterday, comparing the one press method to prepping the trigger. I chose the task of drawing to a one inch square at 7 yards at speed, which is a real anticipation trap between the tough target and timer. Short answer is I went 5/7 to the square, with the other two shots almost touching the square. Absolutely no anticipation issues doing it as one long press. I a,so did a similar thing drawing to an 8 inch at 30 yards with the same result. This is the kind of shooting that conventional wisdom would say you need to prep the trigger, yet I felt one press was WAY easier.
    This conversation is entirely futile in attempt to convey what, how, why we do anything without first person interaction and the ability to convey learning points from either side.

I will say that the overwhelming majority of the time, I do exactly the same start to stop pull without concern over "the wall". In your two stated drills and distances, I would do the same and not concern myself with a "prep" of the trigger. These are not the circumstances in which I would use a prep. Even under the circumstances that I like to "prep" the trigger, even conveyed to you or another shooter, our results from our own training may be very different.

In what I do when I take a shot where I prep the trigger, my starting point in my mental process and physical manipulation, does not start until after I have taken out the "slack". I don't look at the pre-travel as an actual stage in the trigger pull. Take out the slack, then I go through my firing process, sight alignment, sight picture, breath control and then a steady and consistent trigger pull, followed by my follow through.

Again, I think we may be confusing the start of the trigger pull, but more importantly conflicting on personal preference. I personally don't have anticipation issues when I start from "the wall" as opposed to a front to rear pull. Anticipation is not the issue, but I do see a mechanical hiccup and variation in my sights as I hit the various stages throughout the pull. My wobble area is notable throughout the process. For me it isn't a mental issue, but a physical ability to minimize the wobble throughout the pull when starting front to rear. I have entirely much less wobble when I take out the slack and start my pull from the wall. There is no mental anticipation but I clearly see mechanical differences caused by the trigger bar in my pull process. Mentally my pull starting from front to rear or from the "wall" means little. Mechanically and how I interact with the weapon is clear. Again maybe I just need to suck less.

I don't find it futile. My experience, which I came to almost by accident, is pressing through without prepping, causes less wobble. Origami independently came to a similar conclusion. Somebody with an instrumented Glock trigger provided data indicating how one press is smoother than prepping to a wall.

Conversely you believe prepping gives you less wobble, and "conventional wisdom" agrees with you.

I have posted, for example, 100 yard targets, in that thread, using the one press method, that would indicate the one press method works at least for me at distance. On the other end of the spectrum, this method appears to offer much promise on quick and dirty shooting like an El Prez. From a safety perspective, the one press method also offer advantages, by reducing the possibility of triggering a premature shot in the process of prepping. Given how much time is spent discussing how to press a Glock trigger, and the relatively low cost of experimenting, I suggest folks try various methods, and figure out what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Second, I can't see the damn target anymore.......
    Welcome to my world.

Thank goodness for those huge dots on the HK45/P30/VP9 sights… otherwise, it would be G19/RDS city for me.

You don't need to see the target that sharply, just the front sight.

So I was shooting 7 and 10 yard Bill drills today (Gen 3 17, Taran FO sights, stock trigger except for minus connector, 115 PMC ammo), and decided to transition directly to 25 yard Bill drills on the head. For all, close and far using the no-prep, one stroke method. My wife was doing the same. Here were my two 25 yard Bills:

Wow, those are fantastic groups.

25 yard bill drills? That there is some nice shooten Tex. No really those are some great groups. I haven't shot groups like that since my PPC days 30 years ago.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Now with regards to the main topic of the thread, I am a firm believer in a continuous no "prep" trigger pull. Coming from a primarily DA revolver background it works best for me. The problem I have with the plastic fantastic striker fired guns is the wall. I'm learning to ignore it but it still bothers me.

Shooting from the prep or reset techniques may initially help the novice or lower skilled shooter but I believe that to progress to the next level a consistent trigger pull is needed ignoring the reset totally.

I have shot Glocks setup in such a way that the trigger feels like a lighter weight revolver action. I love them but the Glock ergonomics put me off. I am working towards making my M&Ps similar understanding that due to the design of the action getting rid of the wall is next to impossible. I'm trying to find a MA compliant trigger return spring to see if I can minimize the difference between the take up and release. I believe since I am use to the 11 to 12 lb double action pull of the revolver the added weight to the entire pull may be beneficial to keeping the gun steady through out the trigger pull.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List