Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 42 Magazine Issues?

Site Supporter

Glock 42 Magazine Issues?

Yesterday, in a continuing effort of God to remind me how old I'm getting, I went to the range for my retired LE quals under LEOSA. While there, I watched a couple of young (as in they were born way after I started policing in 1978) officers shooting their Glock 42s on a qualification course. Both were experiencing premature slide lockbacks and one of the guns was really bad, with 12 premature lockbacks in one 50 round course. I was initially suspicious that these were shooter induced, but after watching both of the officers, ruled that out completely. The guns were new and dry, but lubrication did nothing to solve the problems. The slide stop levers were properly installed and were working correctly when tested by hand with the slide and frame separated.

Some isolation and comparison armorer work narrowed things down to two specific magazines (one on each gun) that were somehow locking the slide stop lever up during firing with a loaded magazine. I'm guessing the followers were somehow defective. Phone calls to the Glock rep for TX have a replacement process started.

Anybody else noted this problem on these little blasters? I've been a Glock armorer since 1989 and have tons of experience with the platform from the training, armoring and shooting standpoints, but I've never seen this one.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

The magazines/followers have been revised once since the G42 was introduced.

I have heard some of the G42s are having an issue similar to what I have seen in the past with 3913s, there is so little room in the gun that some bullets catch the inside part of the slide lock that is typically activated by the follower due to the ogive hitting that tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have heard some of the G42s are having an issue similar to what I have seen in the past with 3913s, there is so little room in the gun that some bullets catch the inside part of the slide lock that is typically activated by the follower due to the ogive hitting that tab.
    I've read this as well. For some reason, some truncated cone (fed hydra, xtp) loadings seem to be more prone to this, but it's probably case by case. My original recipe G42 had some trouble with xtp loadings for the first 150 or so, then seemed to mellow out as things broke in. Just one case observation. Any idea what the duty load used at qual was?

Site Supporter
    The ammo was CCI Blazer FMJ.

And I still can't get it that a manufacturer produces a gun and magazines and apparently doesn't do enough of an engineering study to make sure the gun and magazines work with the ammo that's out there on the market BEFORE they start going through the tweaks to get things right.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Limpwristing......that is what it always is......
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The ammo was CCI Blazer FMJ.

And I still can't get it that a manufacturer produces a gun and magazines and apparently doesn't do enough of an engineering study to make sure the gun and magazines work with the ammo that's out there on the market BEFORE they start going through the tweaks to get things right.
    Well, in that way you are still very young at heart.

Thanks for the heads up. I've only seen 3 G42 mags so far and so far so good but it's a significant departure from other Glock mags so . . .
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    The magazines/followers have been revised once since the G42 was introduced.
    The slide stop has also been revised. The pad that the follower presses to active the slide stop was reduced on the corner at ~4 'o'clock

The vickers replacement has the updated geometry if you can't find an updated OEM unit. The old part is marked 33219.

Also, the updated mags are marked with a -1 on the back.

Wayne, pop off the slide, load the magazine, place loaded magazine into the mag well and lock in, I bet you'll see the bullet ogive hitting that little tab of the inside bit of the slide lock

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The slide stop has also been revised. The pad that the follower presses to active the slide stop was reduced on the corner at ~4 'o'clock

The vickers replacement has the updated geometry if you can't find an updated OEM unit. The old part is marked 33219.

Also, the updated mags are marked with a -1 on the back.

True.

User Tag List