Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: To ASP or not to ASP, that is the question.....

I would rather have a straight stick, even if it ONLY rode on my "tactical" set up that I use for planned operations, than my 16" ASP that never leaves my G-ride because, frankly, it serves no useful purpose for me.

Having been through the ASP instructor course and FLETC's Control Tactics instructor course, and having done a little Escrima work in my youth, I would say that what I learned in dabbling in Escrima seems SIGNIFICANTLY more useful than anything I learned from ASP or FLETC, when it comes to using any kind of blunt force weapon...

This was an interesting discussion. I have not had cause to think about a less lethal impact weapon in a long time. Originally was issued an ASP as it was someone's good idea fairy to have as a less lethal option for some maritime boarding work, but it was not quite as practical to employ in typical confined interior spaces (let alone effectiveness debates, but a PR24 would have been right out entirely). For some work in the Middle East had them around in order to deal with the angry crowd in the marketplace type scenario, but thankfully never needed to be used for that.

Only way I personally ever used the things were to break vehicle windows, or for break & rake at some target buildings. I might still have one buried deep in a pelican box somewhere that shows that wear and tear.

Actually the PR24 is superb in confined spaces, vastly better than a straight stick, due to the side handle design allowing one to use really effective jabs either one or two handed.

I've lost track of how many times I have taken my PR into a bar fight, domestic, etc. that was indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Actually the PR24 is superb in confined spaces, vastly better than a straight stick, due to the side handle design allowing one to use really effective jabs either one or two handed.

I've lost track of how many times I have taken my PR into a bar fight, domestic, etc. that was indoors.
    I imagine that abu fitna is talking about ship compartments, which certainly add another level of confinement compared to what we deal with here. Not just employment, but the inevitable banging on hatches and such. FWIW, I've used a straight stick to jab with more often than not, and don't find the lack of a side handle to be a problem for that application.

Anyone see the recent video of the philly cop getting his stick taken by the perp and used on him, escalating it to a deadly force shooting?
    I know I know, improper execution of retention techniques right?

I haven't seen the video and I'm being a bit tongue in cheek here, but I think the best retention technique with a baton is beat the other guy silly.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I imagine that abu fitna is talking about ship compartments, which certainly add another level of confinement compared to what we deal with here. Not just employment, but the inevitable banging on hatches and such. FWIW, I've used a straight stick to jab with more often than not, and don't find the lack of a side handle to be a problem for that application.
    I'm more than happy to use jabs with the straight stick, but IMHO the side handle and some practice put some +P into the jab

I'm more than happy to use jabs with the straight stick, but IMHO the side handle and some practice put some +P into the jab
    Absolutely no argument here.

Remind me to tell you next week about the guy I "killed" with a PR-24.

Truthfully, I always hated the 24, and used it more often as a step ladder than an impact weapon.

To ASP or not to ASP, that is the question.....

The last time I used my PR24 was a jab to the ribs of a guy who put his shoulder into me as I was walking into a backyard involving an emergency assistance/fight call. He turned and acted like he wanted to do something. I was in the ready position and persuaded him he didn't want to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

One of my going away presents for the guys on my job is that next week I am doing a PR24 instructor class for some of them.

I am seeing a renewed interest in the PR at my job, even among the younger troops.
    I need to see if there are any active instructors close to my new AO. A check of Safariland's training calendar shows two instructor courses next year in the upper Midwest....too far away.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List