Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gov't testing on the VLTOR A5

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar

Arrow Gov't testing on the VLTOR A5

Years ago, the government did reliability testing of the VLTOR A5 as compared to other AR buffers. I don't recall whether it was NSWC Crane or USMC, but someone posted their report online around 2010. I remember getting a quick glance of it and saying, "I'll read this in more detail later." It turns out the report was not supposed to be released to the public, it was quickly pulled, and I never had a chance to read the entire thing.

Now that it's many years later, I'm wondering if that report (or one like it) was ever made public. Anyone have a link? Or anyone have a PDF they could send?
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Thanks, but I'm looking for the actual report: not just a summary of findings.

Unless I missed something on that page, I didn't see a link to the actual report.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Thanks, but I'm looking for the actual report: not just a summary of findings.

Unless I missed something on that page, I didn't see a link to the actual report.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Sadly I bet you won't get that.

I know the report you’re talking about and as far as I know it’s still not approved for public release.

ESED DTR10-JXPLN-055
    Detailed test report
    Reliability Comparison
    M16A4, M16A4 with H6 Buffer, M16A4 with VLTOR Stock Assembly.
    January 2010

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Gov't testing on the VLTOR A5

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I know the report you’re talking about and as far as I know it’s still not approved for public release.

ESED DTR10-JXPLN-055
    Detailed test report
    Reliability Comparison
    M16A4, M16A4 with H6 Buffer, M16A4 with VLTOR Stock Assembly.
    January 2010
    It would be interesting to see these findings I went the H6 route with my SPR. Seems to work but that is with only 100 rounds or so.

Can the VLTOR A5 be purchased and work without the buttstock (will it work with other stocks)?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 11-24-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

It sounds from the summary that if they took the noobs off of the guns that the failure rate would have been near zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Can the VLTOR A5 be purchased and work without the buttstock (will it work with other stocks)?
    Yes: you just need the A5 receiver extension and the A5 buffer. It uses a standard rifle spring, and the receiver extension will accept any mil-spec stock. I've been running an A5 setup since 2009/2010 that I love, and it wears an old CTR. The only 'catch' is that the CTR doesn't fully collapse on the A5 receiver extension: it will be one click out.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    5 Pins - thanks for finding that! Good info here, it looks like either system is an improvement over stock.

Byron - thanks for the info!

User Tag List