Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig pistol brace and shotguns, this could be interesting - ATF Letter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    No. Not if the OAL is greater than 26" it would not.
    barrel looks to be the same length as the receiver I'm guessing 6" or 8" plus 6" or 8" ? don't PGO shotguns still have to have the 18" barrel or is 26" OAL alone the magic number ?

Even with "push-pull" I can't imagine it would be much fun to shoot

Site Supporter
    Given:
    • How common SBRs and SBSs have become
    • The established "common use" precedent in SCOTUS 2A jurisprudence
    • The documented legislative history behind the law's structure

I don't see why we haven't been shopping for a sympathetic defendant to get the OAL/BBL length language stricken from the NFA while we still had a likely 5-4 outcome. Those provisions are obviously and documentably a vestige of the attempt to ban handguns and serve no good purpose except to get honest people jammed up for technical crimes with no malicious intent.
    Because federal courts have been hesitant in finding that much more common AWs are "common." Heller's "longstanding" gun-control language is also unhelpful to an challenge to the NFA.

Like I wrote elsewhere about a workaround (a longer receiver extension from MI) that would allow a VFG on a 10.5" AR pistol without making it an AOW by bringing the OAL out over 26":
    Which makes as much sense as possible given the circumstances for an AR pistol, but why wouldn't the pictured shotty - or any PGO shotgun - be a destructive device? Because the ATF hasn't classified them as "non-sporting" yet, like they did street-sweepers? As you noted, they aren't legally shotguns, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't have anything good to say about the knucklehead that started this little debacle.
    Word. This brings up an interesting thing - don't poke the lion if you don't have the juice to fight it. For example, Sig has the juice to take on the ATF whether it's over the SB15 or their 9 inch long 9mm "muzzle brake." Some joker's shop in BFE? Probably not.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    barrel looks to be the same length as the receiver I'm guessing 6" or 8" plus 6" or 8" ? don't PGO shotguns still have to have the 18" barrel or is 26" OAL alone the magic number ?
    More on the PGO shotgun situation can be found here.

(If you're in Indiana, BTW, remember that, per Estep v. State, a PGO shotgun is a handgun for purposes of carry and transportation.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Because federal courts have been hesitant in finding that much more common AWs are "common." Heller's "longstanding" gun-control language is also unhelpful to an challenge to the NFA.
    That's the gamble, yeah, but you sure know how to take the wind out of my sails regarding its chances.

This is simultaneously the problem with regulation and the problem with changing those regulations.

Regulation serves to usually make honest people criminals (e.g., chop your shotgun barrel to 17.9" without proper permits and you're now a felon in possession of a SBS). And when regulations are arbitrarily changed and ruled on (e.g., allowing the Sig Brace to be considered legal, even though it represented a potential NFA end-run), people will push the boundaries until you have to go back to being heavy handed (e.g., the end result of this will be NO sig braces).

Assholes will be assholes. And the simple fact is you can't regulate assholes and idiots into doing what you want without taking it to the extreme. I guess the longer I think about this crap the more I realize there is no compromise. I don't support banning them all, so I come down on the side of the spectrum that is howitzers and nukes for everyone. But I'm afraid that the other side will be the end result...

Shotguns that come with pistol grips from the factory are not shotguns (which are fired from the shoulder). They also are not pistols. They are firearms. Under the law as I understand it. Firearms only need to be over 26 inches long. With a pistol grip, that requires a barrel of certain length, and 18 is easy.

If you put longer "birds head" grip on it, you can go down to a 14" barrel and still have the whole thing be over 26 inches. Again, only legal if it only had a pistol grip from the factory.

Because the addition of the receiver extension/pistol buffer tube would add more length, I can see the logic behind an even shorter barrel as the OAL would still be over 26". At that point the addition of the brace shouldn't matter either since it's not a stock.

The way laws are written, it makes sense (and I've thought about this very thing previously).

As per it being unpleasant to shoot even with push/pull, my shotgun barely touches my shoulder when I shoot, so not sure how it would do.

I could be wrong on this all, but that's MY understanding of it (again, having researched it a bit because I thought about this a little while ago and even asked about it on M4C)
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    Shotguns that come with pistol grips from the factory are not shotguns (which are fired from the shoulder). They also are not pistols. They are firearms. Under the law as I understand it. Firearms only need to be over 26 inches long. With a pistol grip, that requires a barrel of certain length, and 18 is easy.

If you put longer "birds head" grip on it, you can go down to a 14" barrel and still have the whole thing be over 26 inches. Again, only legal if it only had a pistol grip from the factory.

Because the addition of the receiver extension/pistol buffer tube would add more length, I can see the logic behind an even shorter barrel as the OAL would still be over 26". At that point the addition of the brace shouldn't matter either since it's not a stock.

The way laws are written, it makes sense (and I've thought about this very thing previously).

As per it being unpleasant to shoot even with push/pull, my shotgun barely touches my shoulder when I shoot, so not sure how it would do.

I could be wrong on this all, but that's MY understanding of it (again, having researched it a bit because I thought about this a little while ago and even asked about it on M4C)
    That's my analysis of it too. I've even been very tempted to assemble just such a beast, but I'm leery of somehow running afoul of local law enforcement with it. Even if I "won" in the end, winning at $200 an hour really isn't winning.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Which makes as much sense as possible given the circumstances for an AR pistol, but why wouldn't the pictured shotty - or any PGO shotgun - be a destructive device? Because the ATF hasn't classified them as "non-sporting" yet, like they did street-sweepers?
    Yes.

Street Sweepers were vulnerable because the entire Striker/Streetsweeper/USAS-12 Owner's Club could hold its meetings in a broom closet. Also, they were imported.

User Tag List