Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flying through Chicago with firearms

flying through Chicago with firearms

So a friend of mine is looking at flying through Chicago with handguns and mags. I don't believe he is taking possession of his bags, but it is possible I suppose. Anyone have experience with this?
    And what if he did take possession, say to drive to his next destination?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I think one thing to keep in mind, under absolutely NO circumstances to take possetion of his bags, even if his flights are all cancelled, delayed, or anything else, and he had to walk home across the country naked. I would positively totally refuse. You may be better off if you never saw them again rather than accept possesion.

If he had to drive as part of his trip, he should end his flight somewhere else so he didnt take possesion there, or make the airlines deliver them somewhere else. Having a hop to Indy or something may be better. The drive (or never seeing his bags again) would be cheaper than attorny's fees if he was discovered in possesion in Chicago.

My comments arent from personal experience, but I recall hearing of a couple instances where someones flight was delayed, misrouted, cancelled or something in New York or New Jersey and they "made" him take his bags. It got ugly.

I think Tamara wrote about it some also.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-11-2015 at 12:43 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    So a friend of mine is looking at flying through Chicago with handguns and mags. I don't believe he is taking possession of his bags, but it is possible I suppose. Anyone have experience with this?
    I flew through Chicago with firearms (layover). It was fine. I got to my connecting flight on time, picked up my bags at my final destination, had 0 issues. Was exactly like flying without them (i.e. O'Hare was still a dystopian nightmare of an airport...but I got where I needed to go )

Ditto what Malamute said. No way in hell would I touch a bag containing a firearm in Chicago or several other airports. (Boston, NJ, NYC, & DC come to mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I flew through Chicago with firearms (layover). It was fine. I got to my connecting flight on time, picked up my bags at my final destination, had 0 issues. Was exactly like flying without them (i.e. O'Hare was still a dystopian nightmare of an airport...but I got where I needed to go )
    Like Malamute said, the risk comes if your flight gets cancelled and you are stuck overnight in Chicage. Your bags would be offloaded in baggage claim and need to be rechecked on the next departure. NY was famous for arresting travelers in Laguardia as they tried to recheck their bags since it contained an unlicensed gun within the city. It was a bit of a shakedown since offenders were offered plea deals to disorderly conduct or similar nonsense with a fine. A NC State senator got busted and had to spend 24 hrs in the can and then travel back to NY to get his case dispositioned. The real problems come when there is ammo in the same bag because the gun is then considered loaded in NY which subjects the traveler to a felony. I'm not sure in Chicago is as draconian as NY, but I would not put myself in any situation where I could find out...

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/p...=23&track.y=15
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    When I lived in Chicago, I always flew out of Mitchell in Wisconsin . It was faster to drive north then it was to take 190 into OHare even though it was technically in the same city. In your friends case, the local laws in Wisconsin are also much better.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Wow. Scared much? Posession of a cased, unloaded firearm, even on you person, for transport is perfectly legal in Chicago. Despite their best efforts, they have been unable to legally enforce their assault weapons ban, because of a legal injunction. The state level concealed carry law pre-empts Chicago and thus Chicago no longer has ANY regulations on possession of handguns (except the illegal carry of concealed, loaded, handguns, not being transported per state definition). The state regulates concealed carry.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

If your friend is from the US AND has a concealed carry license, any handguns can even be transported, loaded, while inside the car. Transportation has no legal definition, moving a firearm from place to place, anytime, to anywhere, is legal. As long as you are legally allowed to own the firearm. Transportation to, from, or around "restricted" places is also legal. As long as the firearm is being legally transported per the Illinois State Rules.

If your friend is stuck overnight in Chicago. It is perfectly legal to collect his bags and go to a hotel. It would even be legal to transport them via public transit, although I would probably take a cab or rent a car.

ETA: It would help to know what kind of firearm(s) your friend is transporting. There are Cook County ordinances for transportation that might be an issue for specific weapons (e.g., an AR15). But the long and short of it is your friend should unload, disassemble, and lock into a proper case, for transport. Separately, he should bring ammunition in a different case. That should keep him from running afoul of any transportation issues in Illinois.

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-11-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Canadian, bringing handguns and likely ammo. Has his Form 6 NIA
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wow. Scared much? Posession of a cased, unloaded firearm, even on you person, for transport is perfectly legal in Chicago. Despite their best efforts, they have been unable to legally enforce their assault weapons ban, because of a legal injunction. The state level concealed carry law pre-empts Chicago and thus Chicago no longer has ANY regulations on possession of handguns (except the illegal carry of concealed, loaded, handguns, not being transported per state definition). The state regulates concealed carry.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

If your friend is from the US AND has a concealed carry license, any handguns can even be transported, loaded, while inside the car. Transportation has no legal definition, moving a firearm from place to place, anytime, to anywhere, is legal. As long as you are legally allowed to own the firearm. Transportation to, from, or around "restricted" places is also legal. As long as the firearm is being legally transported per the Illinois State Rules.

If your friend is stuck overnight in Chicago. It is perfectly legal to collect his bags and go to a hotel. It would even be legal to transport them via public transit, although I would probably take a cab or rent a car.

ETA: It would help to know what kind of firearm(s) your friend is transporting. There are Cook County ordinances for transportation that might be an issue for specific weapons (e.g., an AR15). But the long and short of it is your friend should unload, disassemble, and lock into a proper case, for transport. Separately, he should bring ammunition in a different case. That should keep him from running afoul of any transportation issues in Illinois.

-Rob
    Thank You,

I was based out of ORD for many years and had sever gun shooting buddies use ORD without an issue.

For the OP,

I assume he will be flying into ORD from Canada Eh? If so, the very best way to avoid missing a connection is to take the earlier flights as they tend to run a lot more on time than flights later in the day that have been affected my maintenance or ATC delays.

Illinoins in general, and Chicago in particular, bear zero resemblance to places like NY and NJ when it comes to gun laws.

All the suggestions to avoid contact with the guns while travelling are based on incorrect information or flat out ignorance.

User Tag List