Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig pistol brace and shotguns, this could be interesting - ATF Letter

Sig pistol brace and shotguns, this could be interesting - ATF Letter

New letter issued regarding the SB-15 if it's used on a shotgun: http://www.shootingsportsretailer.co...the-sig-brace/

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Not really surprising at all. I imagine they realize what they did with the ARs and are attempting to keep the "damage" from spreading.

Not an issue, the manufacturer was trying to push things with the below:

#RESIST

There isn't really any legal pistol version of a shotgun in any event is there? Not such as a short version of a rifle is, rifled barrel and all. It seems like the story has details missing of exactly what they wanted to sell. The picture doesn't look like it would be legal as an over the counter item in any event, Sig brace or not.

ATF opinion letters: as precedent they are worth every bit as much as the paper they are written on.

I would not be surprised to see "clarification" about the arm brace in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    ATF opinion letters: as precedent they are worth every bit as much as the paper they are written on.

I would not be surprised to see "clarification" about the arm brace in the near future.
    Unfortunately, this is probably true.

I remember seeing the SB-15 for the first time a couple of years ago and immediately thought that it was an end-run around the NFA. Don't get me wrong, I have a shor...er...I mean pistol equipped with one in my safe. I have simply thought that it was too good to be true, and I fully expect the government to change its opinion of them once they realized how they were being used.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

So I'm in the middle of something and don't have time to really research the issue, but off the top of my head I don't understand why a "shotgun" pistol with a Sigbrace attached would not be classified as a destructive device (defined as a weapon with a bore of more than 1/2 inch in diameter, except for "shotguns," which are defined as smooth bore weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder and used for sporting purposes) or as an Any Other Weapon. Am I off base here?
    Last edited by TR675; 11-19-2014 at 02:24 PM.

I think the difference is that an AR pistol is legal before the addition of the brace. Whereas the shotgun pictured above is not legal prior to the brace and would not be afterword.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I think the difference is that an AR pistol is legal before the addition of the brace. Whereas the shotgun pictured above is not legal prior to the brace and would not be afterword.
    ATF's letter says it is a GCA firearm but not an NFA firearm...which doesn't make sense given the AOW language above. Basically the letter looks internally inconsistent to me.

User Tag List