Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some Sources; Michael Brown College Discussion.

Need some Sources; Michael Brown College Discussion.

Remember my criminal justice class? The next group discussion I have is on the Michael Brown case, and I need three good sources by Friday.

Can you plugged-in guys point out some good places for forensic reports, crime scene data, etc? My classmates will assuredly take the side of the prof and thethe mainstream media, so I'll need some concrete source data to repudiate that nonsense.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    You assume that the class will be on one side and it is your mission to repudiate their claims.

However, as a prof who teaches research design - your mission is to collect valid evidence to reach a fair and empirically based evaluation of the incident. It might come out this way or that way.

Confirmation bias cuts both ways in this case. I doubt you can find yet - a conclusive data set. Are the times and distances, actions of participants clearly established?

As a prof - who teaches cognitive psych. - we know that sorting out eye witness testimony is a horror without physical corroboration.

I don't see this as a meaningful exercise, if you think the class has preexisting biases and you enter the discussion with your own.

It might work out if the class lays out what is actually known and skip the pro-Brown, pro-Wilson polemics. That's what you should say.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    You assume that the class will be on one side and it is your mission to repudiate their claims.

However, as a prof who teaches research design - your mission is to collect valid evidence to reach a fair and empirically based evaluation of the incident. It might come out this way or that way.

Confirmation bias cuts both ways in this case. I doubt you can find yet - a conclusive data set. Are the times and distances, actions of participants clearly established?

As a prof - who teaches cognitive psych. - we know that sorting out eye witness testimony is a horror without physical corroboration.

I don't see this as a meaningful exercise, if you think the class has preexisting biases and you enter the discussion with your own.

It might work out if the class lays out what is actually known and skip the pro-Brown, pro-Wilson polemics. That's what you should say.
    I wish the prof had the same attitude you do.

She , regrettably, has already decided the matter in favor of the MSNBC/CNNCNN viewpoint. As has most of the class.

Now, what few sources I've consulted to date paints a different narrarative-the coroners report on the wound tracks refutes Brown being shot from a position of surrender.

Hence the request here-while I'm open to considering that an indictment is appropriate , I'll need to see proof to that effect. The Mainstream Media has offered little to none, and what facts I've seen conclusively refute Browns side of the story.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Well, tell her what I said.

Say only reliable facts can be used!

Good luck.

Check out Andrew Branca's articles at www.legalinsurrection.com
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Stately McDaniel Manor

http://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpres...-abiding-love/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Bring a guy the size and strength of Brown (or yourself if you are) and pick someone in class to beat him to a pulp. Give that guy a blue gun and try to take it away while beating him.

Some people need sense physically beaten into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Bring a guy the size and strength of Brown (or yourself if you are) and pick someone in class to beat him to a pulp. Give that guy a blue gun and try to take it away while beating him.

Some people need sense physically beaten into them.
    That would actually be a good practical exercise. So many people who have strong opinions have never sparred or rolled for a single 3 minute round.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Good Luck. I've been in similar situations and never had much luck. The other side is emoting and you are thinking. It is very hard to counter emotions with facts. Most people are simply not open to it. Laying out a cogent argument takes time and emoting is instantaneous. My observation is that if you try to counter emotions with facts, you get branded as "bad" because you are defending something they don't like. Again, good luck....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Good Luck. I've been in similar situations and never had much luck. The other side is emoting and you are thinking. It is very hard to counter emotions with facts. Most people are simply not open to it. Laying out a cogent argument takes time and emoting is instantaneous. My observation is that if you try to counter emotions with facts, you get branded as "bad" because you are defending something they don't like. Again, good luck....
    Thus my suggestion of a hands-on demonstration.

User Tag List