Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have a K31?

I've got a line on a K31 for a very reasonable price. Anything in particular I should look for, for good or ill?

Site Supporter
    The stock may look crappy. I noted that the bore on mine looked a little dirty, but after running a few patches down it, it was bright as a mirror. I would see to that, but the milsurp ammo they shoot isn't corrosive, so I'd just grab it and go nuts. They shouldn't be too beat up in the action. The bluing on mine is nearly perfect. I found the stock is a little short for my taste, so you might want an extended buttplate (it's also worth removing your buttplate to look for the tag with the name of the soldier to whom it was issued back in the day) to add the length if you don't wear military gear while shooting. The side mounted sling is a little weird for me too...but....

Dat trigger.

The one on mine is phenomenal. Long take up, but once you take up the slack, it's light as a feather. I'm no expert by any stretch however. Just a few things I noted.

From my Hornady manual, it looks like I can reload for it using standard .308 bullets. I'm guessing 168 or 175gr pills would work best, and they should perform about like standard .308 (i.e. 168gr @ 2700fps or so). If that's the case, a few hundred rounds of Prvi ammo should provide me with sufficient cases for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The stock may look crappy. I noted that the bore on mine looked a little dirty, but after running a few patches down it, it was bright as a mirror. I would see to that, but the milsurp ammo they shoot isn't corrosive, so I'd just grab it and go nuts. They shouldn't be too beat up in the action. The bluing on mine is nearly perfect. I found the stock is a little short for my taste, so you might want an extended buttplate (it's also worth removing your buttplate to look for the tag with the name of the soldier to whom it was issued back in the day) to add the length if you don't wear military gear while shooting. The side mounted sling is a little weird for me too...but....

Dat trigger.

The one on mine is phenomenal. Long take up, but once you take up the slack, it's light as a feather. I'm no expert by any stretch however. Just a few things I noted.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I've got a line on a K31 for a very reasonable price. Anything in particular I should look for, for good or ill?
    What year is it?

Do you have a picture that you can post?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What year is it?

I don't at this point. A friend of a friend is apparently in need of some quick cash and is bruiting about his "in all ways average" K31 for $150. I'm supposed to take a look at it in the next couple of days.

I have had six of them over the years. All of them shot well. Two of them shot exceedingly well. Late production with birch stocks have usually shot better, and are cheaper than the earlier walnut stocked rifles. There are directions on how to accurize these rifles on the Swiss Rifles website that have worked for me:
    http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/accurizing.html

Make sure it is actually a K31. Many times 1911 carbines are misidentified as a K31.

The barrels, when new, have rifling that comes all the way back to the case mouth, so bullets used in hand loading have to have a considerable taper just forward of the cannelure on the bullet. These barrels all like Swiss GP11. The first one I found that shot really well initially did not like Sierra 168gr Sierra bullets, but did like Remington bulk 165gr soft point bullets. I have had excellent results with 4064 and non-canister grade H414. The powder the Swiss used may well be Reloader 17. I reload the Berdan brass, but it requires some extra tooling and different primers. The cheapest place you will find Boxer brass is Graf & Sons. Full length sizing of cases is very necessary, and if you do not size them enough you will get what seem to be misfires.

I do not like the open sights, but that does not mean I can not shoot them well. I can actually shoot it better than my Springfields.

The rifle's magazine is detachable, but it was not intended to be detached normally. It was intended to be loaded using chargers of 6 cartridges. The chargers used to available for nothing, but now go for remarkable prices.

I don't have one, but I'd like to eventually. Right now my only surplus stuff is an M44 and an M1 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I have a couple and love them dearly. For what you want to do, they're perfect. For later, when you have your law degree and get up a little scratch...

I think they make really fun base guns.

(No, TGS, it's still not fixed).
    I'll be in my bunk...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What year is it?

Well, I've got it in my hands. Pics to follow later tonight, but it's got a walnut stock and a beautiful clean bright bore. Stock's covered in minor dings, but the metal finish is still pretty solid. I can't see any markings other than the serial number (553###), Swiss cross shield, and a couple of what look to be proof marks on the receiver ring. The barrel's engraved with importer marks just underneath and behind the front sight tower:

SAMCO MIA FL
    EWB K31
    7.5x55 SWISS

I found a paper tag under the butt plate. One one side is the serial #, on the other is (as best I can decipher the hand writing):

1914 Firs Paroni Tosyfn (?)
    Telds 40
    Laanen (?)

I'll take some pics later tonight.

So, first question, how do I determine it is, in fact, a K31 and not one of the earlier models? Second, how do I date it? Is it under the stock somewhere?

Well, I've got it in my hands. Pics to follow later tonight, but it's got a walnut stock and a beautiful clean bright bore. Stock's covered in minor dings, but the metal finish is still pretty solid. I can't see any markings other than the serial number (553###), Swiss cross shield, and a couple of what look to be proof marks on the receiver ring. The barrel's engraved with importer marks just underneath and behind the front sight tower:

SAMCO MIA FL
    EWB K31
    7.5x55 SWISS

I found a paper tag under the butt plate. One one side is the serial #, on the other is (as best I can decipher the hand writing):

1914 Firs Paroni Tosyfn (?)
    Telds 40
    Laanen (?)

I'll take some pics later tonight.

So, first question, how do I determine it is, in fact, a K31 and not one of the earlier models? Second, how do I date it? Is it under the stock somewhere?
    Serial numbers of 553xxx would indicate a 1936 manufacture.

I'm not sure about your tag. Here's a basic on the tags, but I'm not sure what language yours is even in.

As for identifying if it's a K31, the easiest way is to look at the bolt. If the lugs are at the front of the bolt like a conventional bolt action as you know it, then it's a K31. If they're in the middle of the bolt, then it's an 1911 or 96/11 (or possibly 89/96). If the lugs are at the rear of the bolt, then it's an M1889 and should not be fired with modern 7.5x55 ammo....ditto the 89/96, but they're extremely rare as most were converted to 96/11 to fire modern 7.5x55 (I have one turned into a scout rifle).
    Last edited by TGS; 01-13-2015 at 10:08 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Well, I've got it in my hands.
    Congrats! Sounds like you got a great deal, and a paper tag also!

People have written to the original owner/soldier that the rifle was issued on the tag in Switzerland and have received replies back.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List